TV Does Not Auto Fit when Ripping 4:3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper TV Does Not Auto Fit when Ripping 4:3

I've been using DVD to DVD for a long time now but have recently started using DVD Ripper to get mkv rips of my movies. After testing on various sttings, I've figurd out how to get good quality that I am happy with but there is still an apect that I am having trouble with.

My Samsung 52" LED normally takes 4:3 movies and auto-fits them to the widescreen and it does a prettygood job. But for some reason when I play the mkv's, the TV does not auto-fit, instead there are black bars on the left and right sides of the movie.

Are there setting that will allow the TV to auto-fit as it does with the original DVD?

Thank you.

Ok, after thinking about it a bit I figured it out (should have realized this before), I use a dvd player to play the physical dvd's and use the tv's internal media player (via thumb drive to the tv's usb port) to play the mkv's so it seems to be an issue of upscaling limitations on the part of the tv's media player...

That being said, (and i'm not sure if this merits a new thread), it would seem that I should probably purchase a media player as it would give me more options...can anybody recommend a good media player? I basically rip to generic.mkv.h264.audiocopy, 2-pass encoding, 2200 kbps, and will be playing on a Samsung 52" LED.

I know that some of you have experience with multiple media players so any help would be appreciated!

Comment

There are a number of threads in the forums where various media players are discussed. However, stretching a 4x3 to fill the entire 6x9 TV screen would not usually be an included feature as this would cause distortion in the picture (wide faces). Many will have a zoom feature for use in letterbox content (bars on all 4 sides).

Comment

Ok, turns out my dvd player crops the image slightly and stretches it to fill the screen, but somehow it doesn't look bad (distored)...

I tried replicating this via DVD Ripper by changing the 4:3 to 16:9 with a custom ratio of 720 x 406 and I'm pretty happy with the result as it looks similar to how my dvd player displays it, I definately prefer it like that instead of the black bars on the sides...

How does everyone else handle ripping 4:3 movies for a widescreen display? I'd like to see if there are different options out there...

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
        X