Aspect ratio confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Aspect ratio confusion

I'm new to converting DVD's and a bit confused about aspect ratios.
    I want to copy a DVD to divx format to make it portable.
    The DVD shows the film being "Widescreen 2.35:1".
    DVDfab reads the DVD and shows it as a 16:9 Aspect Ratio.
    If I choose "generic.avi.divx.audiocopy" and look at the settings, it is set to 720x310 with an aspect ratio of 2.32258.
    When I convert and play the avi file all the people seem to be longer and thinner than the original. Not by very much but enough to be noticeable. I selected all the different aspect rations in my media player (VLC) but couldn't get it to look right.

I ran Gspot to get some technical details on both the avi file and the original vob files on the DVD. The avi file shows as 720x310 but the DVD vob files show as 720x480.
    To check it wasn't my player that was causing this, I used a different conversion program to convert one of the vob files on the DVD. I left everything in automatic and, when it had done, Gspot showed it was 720x480 and it looked just like the original when played back.
    That's got me totally confused.

What settings do I need to get it to convert and play correctly?

Hi jpwilk,

Please visit http://www.dvdfab.com/manual/dvd-rip...rsion-Settings to get more details about all the conversion settings. Hope this helps you clear aspect ratio confusion.

Comment

Working...
    X