Intel Quick Sync feature doesn't work in 8.0.9.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Intel Quick Sync feature doesn't work in 8.0.9.8

I have another thread here going back to version 8.0.9.5 trying to get the Intel Quick Sync feature to actually work. So far, after trying countless variations of settings, the IQS function either does nothing in boosting performance, or degrades performance.

Does anyone have this working? Is there a FAQ somewhere that says the proper way to enable it?

I just downloaded the released version 8.0.9.8 (after previously using the beta) and the IQS feature is still useless. It should make a dramatic improvement in the throughput while re-encoding.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I have all the proper hardware (H67 chipset, and not using discrete graphics card).

I have emailed tech support, and other than a single short response I have received no help.

UPDATE:
    I've done more testing using Intel Quick Sync.
    By no means am I an expert with this. I'm still trying to figure things out.

But I did see some performance gains when trying different export options.
    Normally I use an MKV file with H.264 at the full 1920x1080 resolution and at 10,000kbs.
    For some reason, this method appears to gain nothing from using IQS.

However, when I changed the export to an iPhone profile I saw a performace increase of anywhere between 10%-50% when using IQS.
    Another thing that varies the performance is whether you set the decoder or encoder to use IQS. In some scenarios it was better to have it as either the encoder or the decoder. In fact sometimes (but not always) it was best to have IQS set for both the encoder and the decoder. Why this is the case - I don't understand.

Complicating the situation is the fact that when you change any of the output options, the program suddenly grays out the EDIT button. So, DVDfab has to be restarted with each change. The same goes when you change any of the encoder/decoder options. Also, as another user posted, 8.0.9.8 has a bug with changing the bit rate.

Bottom line (at laeast for myself) is if you're ripping for a higher res file (like for a HTPC) you seem to gain no benefit with using IQS. If you're rippping for a highly compressed output file, then you do seem to gain some performance. Though I don't really think this is how IQS is supposed to function?

Comment

Hi tjp,

Please try to install DVDFab 8.0.9.9 Beta at

to see the result.

Comment

I installed 8.0.9.9
        I have identical results from 8.0.9.8
        Here are my test results. I am showing the different results I got when varying the encoder/decoder settings. As you can see, when ripping to a high res file suitable for my home theater PC, I see no real benefit with IQS. I see only a mild boost when ripping for an iPhone. This doesn't seem right?

Profile: H.264 in MKV file, 1920 x 1080 7,500kbs, Audio 5.1 484kbs
        Movie: Avatar
        Settings: Decoder / Encoder / Performance
        Software / Software / 35fps
        IQS / Software / 40fps
        IQS / IQS / 11fps

Profile: iPhone (default settings)
        Movie: Avatar
        Settings: Decoder / Encoder / Performance
        Software / Software / 70fps
        IQS / Software / 78fps
        Software / IQS / 46fps
        IQS / IQS / 85fps
        Last edited by tjp; 06-17-2011, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Hi tjp,

According to your comparison result, it seems like once you enable Intel Quick Sync for video encoder, the speed slow down a little bit.

Please update your Intel graphic cards driver to see the result.

Sincerely,
          --
          Sunny
          Last edited by sunny; 06-20-2011, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X