Best Frame Resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Best Frame Resolution

Can anyone recommend the best frame resolution to choose when I am converting to an AVI format?
    I have a 46 inch Samsung LCD t.v. and whenever I am converting a DVD I am confused/wondering if it matters at all.
    I am also wondering if changing the frame resolution affects the audio sync portion of the conversion because I am having so many problems with the audio being delayed by a second or so on about 1/4 of my rips..thanks for any advice.

You should try to match the original DVD resolution. This can be checked by using MediaInfo on the rip to your hard disk. Should be around the 720 x XXX depending on NTSC/PAL & aspect ratio.

At the same time check the frame rate with MediaInfo and set the same frame rate. 24 is actually 23.96 & 30 is actually 29.97.

Set Fab to use that exact same frame rate and it may solve your synch probs.

Also do not fall into the trap of setting the bit rate to high as it can cause problems also. I vary between 1100 & 1500 depending on the content.

This all works fine on my 50" Sammy which supports H264 so I use that rather than XVid. Newer sammys will support MKV's to so I'd give that a go.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

When I first started doing .avi conversions my good friend GregiBoy made this profile available.

I still use it today. The video is great when viewed on my 42" HDTV and I've never experienced a sync issue.

Enjoy

//Edit
      GergiBoy, now how did you sneak in here so fast...nevermind, don't answer that...
      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Didn't see ya there MM... Both slow today !!
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
          Didn't see ya there MM... Both slow today !!
          Yeah, but I'm still slower !!!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Does the profile work with the new version of Fab?

I haven't tried it but have seen posts about compatibility problems with profiles.

Comment

Hey Greg,

It worked just fine with 8100 and I think I may have done a few with 8101 Beta.
              Haven't tried it with 8103.

Hold on and I'll check it out

//Edit
              Oops, nevermind. I didn't set it up yet and I'm getting my tired, old butt up at 4:30 AM to move my daughter to Boston.
              Be back Thurs night
              Last edited by maineman; 07-04-2011, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Sorry for the VERY late response.

Thanks a lot Greg for the advice. I will definitely try that thing with Mediainfo.

Also, I am now using the 8.1.0.3 and I have been unable to use that profile that you made for the older DVDfabs.
                I did as you instructed and renamed it and put it into the profile folder, but then dvdfab just crashes.
                I've tried it a bunch of time with the same result.
                Is there something that I'm doing wrong?

Also thanks for the advice on not making the bitrate too high...I thought that action movies needed a higher bitrate (been making some of my movies 1900 because I was afraid of the blurring)...will try and keep that in check as well.

Once again, thanks Greg and Maine for all the great advice on this site.

Comment

hi YoboRipper,
                  As the profile you just added is an old prolile and DVDFab can't load it, please delete it. Please wait for the ProfileEdit release. It's a tool to edit the profile and will be out soon.
                  Best regards.
                  terry5

Comment

Thank you very much Terry...will wait for it!

Comment

Working...
                    X