XP VS Windows 7 speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper XP VS Windows 7 speeds

I'm pretty sure there was another thread about this, but for some reason I can't find it. After extensive testing, unsing a new hard drive with clean install of Windows 7 Pro, and Windows XP Pro.

I tested both 8.0.8.5 and 8.1.0.6 beta.
    8.0.8.5 is slightly slower using Windows 7, 23.44 VS 23.53,
    and 8.1.0.6 is slightly faster using Windows 7, 23.26 VS 23.53.

Unfortunatly the difference is not very significant, I was expecting a little bigger difference. 1.9% at best for 8.1.0.6.

However, I am using a rather limited computer, HP 6730b Core 3 duo 2.4 with Intel series 4 "Graphics". It is difficult to get the latest drivers, if that would even help, but with the latest drivers from HP using any of the hardware options adds about 15% to 20% to the conversion time. I was able to ram a different driver on my "working" drive and 8.1.0.5 switched to hardware decoding, which I believe was faster. I will test as soon as I have time to swap the hard drive.

Floyd,
    I'm not sure why are you performing these test and what do you expect, but I can tell you that OS has very little to do with processing speed. It's all hardware game... Faster HDD (SSD even better, but not by much) with little access time and response time as possible, most powerful processor you can afford (Sandy Bridge with Z68 MoBo these days is a most powerful combination - giving you opportunity to enjoy IQS), plenty of RAM, upper-line nVIDIA CUDA-enabled card. These kinda things will make a world of difference, not the switch from XP to W7.

And this
    I was able to ram a different driver on my "working" drive and 8.1.0.5 switched to hardware decoding, which I believe was faster
    completely puzzled me. What hardware decoding are you referring to?
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
      Floyd,
      I'm not sure why are you performing these test and what do you expect, but I can tell you that OS has very little to do with processing speed. It's all hardware game... Faster HDD (SSD even better, but not by much) with little access time and response time as possible, most powerful processor you can afford (Sandy Bridge with Z68 MoBo these days is a most powerful combination - giving you opportunity to enjoy IQS), plenty of RAM, upper-line nVIDIA CUDA-enabled card. These kinda things will make a world of difference, not the switch from XP to W7.

And this
      completely puzzled me. What hardware decoding are you referring to?
      DXVA. Typed before I looked to see what it was. With Windows 7, 8.1.0.6 using DXVA, ripping a file is 33% faster than the same file on XP. Of course on XP DXVA does not work, nor does it work on my "Clean" install of Windows 7. Either there is a driver issue or I do not have some necessary software. From what I can find there are different requirements for the 2 operating systems to use DXVA, and XP uses DXVA 1.0 Windows 7 DXVA 2.0, but I don;t really know what means as far as DVDFab is concerned

Comment

OK. In short, you are comparing conversion with/without DXVA. Got it.
        OS has nothing to with any of it. In order to make it work you need at least DirectX installed on your machine...
        sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Working...
        X