Converting DVD to MKV for WD TV Live Hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Converting DVD to MKV for WD TV Live Hub

Does anyone here use DVDFab for converting their DVD's to .mkv files to play on the WD TV Live Hub? Could you please send me your DVDFab profile that you use? If not, I have a list of questions that I need answering:

1. Which .mkv format do I use?

The choices are as follows:

a) generic.mkv.h264.aac

b) generic.mkv.h264.audiocopy

c) generic.mkv.h264.mp3

d) generic.mkv.xvid.audiocopy

e) generic.mkv.xvid.mp3

f) mkv.remux

2. What frame resolution should I be using?

I tried setting it up for same as source, but then again, it changes depending on the DVD I want to convert to .mkv format. So what should it be set at for a modern widescreen DVD, and what for an older full screen DVD? Or I simply have to select the proper .mkv format and DVDFab will take care of the rest by keeping it as "Same as source"?

3. What fixed bitrate should I use to get the best quality?

What is the highest bitrate the WD TV Live Hub can use and when does going too high not make any difference or make things worse? File size is always going to be different depending on the length of the DVD I am converting, so I am looking for a consistent bitrate across all of my DVD's that I want to convert.

4. What should my framerate be set at for Region-1 DVD's?

I thought that the framerate of Region-1 DVD's (NTSC) was 29.97 fps, while Region-2 DVD's (PAL) was 23.976 fps. Depending on the .mkv format I select, sometimes DVDFab sets the framerate on my Region-1 DVD to 23.976 fps, and sometimes simply has it as "Same as source".

5. What should my audio channel and audio bitrate be set to for the best sound?

The audio channel changes depending on the .mkv format you use. Either it is set to "Same as source" or it lists mono, stereo, Dolby Digital / ProLogic, Dolby ProLogic II, or 5.1 Multichannel. Again, this also changes depending the age of the DVD I am converting and what audio tracks the DVD has on it. What is the best bitrate that I should set each to where as it is the best sound at the lowest rating where any higher not even an audiophile can notice any defects in the sound?

I would like to start converting my DVD collection for my WD TV Live Hub. Please leave any comments that I bought the wrong media player to yourselves. I just want to start converting my DVD collection this weekend.

Thanks for your help!

I would pick a preview from a disk and play with the different options. I have a WDTV Live, and .MKV doesn't work well for me. It stutters, won't fast forward and forget any chapters. I generally use Generic .AVI h264 MP3 or AC3. I usually use the defaults from DVDFab, as far as frame rate as I believe it gives you the source, same as the resolution. Changing will probably reduce the quality and will add to the encoding time. I have no idea what the bitrate on the sound is on a DVD, but MediaInfo can tell you and you can never get better than what is on your disk. Most self proclaimed "audiophiles" I have known can always tell the difference, even when it is well beyond the range of human hearing, so I wouldn't even try, besides I don't know if the MediaHub is good enough for that kind of sound quality. Play with a small file (good preview) to see what works for the MediaHub and your TV setup, and go from there. Encoding a 2 minute preview is much quicker than a full length movie. What works for me or anyone else may not work for you.

When the new "Profile editor" comes out you can create the perfect profile so you don't have to adjust anything everytime, in theory.

Comment

As Floyd says, you have to find out what works for you. I have a player that has similar specs to yours as I use the MKV.H264.audiocopy @ 1800 bitrate, frame rate same as source amd resolution same as source, usually 720 x XXX depending on the aspect ratio that the title was composed at.

Floyd's suggestion to try a few options is a great idea although I would use my favouritr movie where I could be really critical and try the profile above and the MKV.remux.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

generally good results

Hi I have 3 WD tvlive+'s and have never had a problem playing MKV's.

Up untill now I have been using the MKV h264 aac format and thye have always worked for me.

I currently have about 400 movies and about 300 episodes of TV on a windows home server and the WD players work pretty well.

I am however about to try using the MKV remux format just to be able to save multiple audio tracks.

As a sidenote I do boost the volume on my files by 25% as it seems to play better on the WD unit that is hooked directly to a monitor in my office.

I will point out that I find it important to do a reset of the WD unit after every firmware update otherwise it has trouble playing some formats.

Lastly I think that its best to leave the bitrate / framerate alone keep it at same as source I think thats were some people get into trouble by trying to "improve" the picture. i can't tell the difference even on my 52" led flatscreen.

Hope that helps a bit
        Last edited by johnsalazar; 08-01-2011, 12:35 AM. Reason: forgot info

Comment

Working...
        X