Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Bitrate Issues??

Hey all! Hope everyone is doing well.

I'm using v 8.1.1.2 and it seems that no matter what bitrate I choose the quality and file size doesn't change. The quality is ok going to a samsung 52". Some dark areas are blocky as well as some light areas.

Anyway, my question is has anyone seen this issue when changing the bitrate not affecting the quality output or file size? The only time it really changes the file size is when I would change the output resolution. If I keep the resolution the same and change the bitrate the file size and quality stay the same. Is there something I'm doing wrong? File size isn't a huge concern.

Here are the details:

Going from PC to Xbox 360 (HDMI) using WMP 12, 52" Samsung. I chose to use WMP 12 instead of media center because those of us who have used media center know it can be choppy and lag sometimes.

Settings tried:

generic.avi.xvid.mp3
    generic.avi.divx.mp3

Bitrate: 1500kbps - 8000kbps
    Encoding Method: 2-pass

Resoutions: 720x404 -1920x1080

Framerate: 23.976 and 29.97

I would suggest to do the same, but with 1-pass encoding. Please let us know how it goes.
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

That worked great! Thank you! Do you know why it won't work with 2-pass encoding?

Comment

I don't know why. 2-pass never worked for me, ever.
        However, I did some experimenting and comparison 1-pass DVDFab vs. 2-pass with identical codec settings using two different programs... my conclusion - 1-pass conversion using DVDFab settings produces far better quality than 2-pass using other programs. But this is my subjective opinion. I'm pretty sure some of the hard-core codec tweaking enthusiasts will jump to argue, but for the average amateur user 1-pass "slow speed, high quality" conversion settings should work just fine.
        Of course, you have to remember that not all source content coded equally in a first place. In order to get best results, you have to experiment with conversion tools DVDFab provides - use different codecs, different profiles and presets...
        Most of DVDFab users are mainstream users - "one setting fits all" kinda users. It works for most...
        Once in a while enthusiasts shows up on these forums and complaints that DVDFab doesn't give them menu of codec tweaks they use to see in other programs... too bad, it doesn't and you have to be an advanced user to go to guts of DVDFab and tweak there... but this is subject for separate discussion.
        sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

I totally know and understand what you mean. I've been playing with different programs for about month. I'm currently in a toss up between DVDFab and other [software]. They are both pretty darn close in quality.

I'm pretty new to this, would you have any tips for encoding a high quality avi(xvid) for xbox 360? I'm streaming from WP12 not WMC.

Thanks!

Comment

If it helps at all, I just posted a new HD XBox 360 profile that might work for you.
            ------------------------------------
            Just another moron with a keyboard.

Comment

GeekMan! You are awesome! Thank you! The profile is near perfection for my large screen format.

The only thing I've seen so far is that I get one or two skips after I rip the movie. I thought it was network lag or something but it seems to happen in the same spot in whichever movie I rip. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by PheneousPhreak View Post
                GeekMan! You are awesome! Thank you! The profile is near perfection for my large screen format.

The only thing I've seen so far is that I get one or two skips after I rip the movie. I thought it was network lag or something but it seems to happen in the same spot in whichever movie I rip. Any ideas?

Thanks again!
                That is odd. I don't have that issue on any of the two dozen or so movies I've ripped in the last two weeks so I don't know what's wrong. My first instinct is to think that it's a playback issue. Perhaps you're having trouble streaming such large files across the network? Try putting a file on a USB stick that you plug into the 360 and then play the movie that way to see if the issue repeats. If it doesn't then streaming across your network is the problem. If the issue remains, then something's happening when you encode the movies. If that's the case then you may want to start a new thread and ask for help from some of the DVDFab moderators and/or staff.

Hope this helps!
                Just another moron with a keyboard.

Comment

Tried the USB solution and it still happens. I'll have to watch the next time I rip. Maybe the screen saver is kicking in and causing a hiccup when its ripping. Not sure. Who knows with Windows....LOL.

Thanks for the tips and the awesome profile! It's all I use now!

Comment

Working...
                  X