Can I split a .sub file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Can I split a .sub file

I am ripping my dvd collection in order to put it on my NAS and watch it with my mediaplayer on my tv. After ripping I have three folders: .avi,.idx and .sub. In the sub folder are two sets of subtitles (english and portuguese). My mediaplayer cannot handle a sub folder like this and doesn´t show any subtitles.

Is it possible to open the .sub folder and convert the two subtitle sets into two separate .srt files?

Media Players usually require, for AVI's, that the sub/idx files be named exactly the same as the avi file with the exception of the SUB/IDX extension.

So the only way to use these multiple subs is to rename them before playing.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
      Media Players usually require, for AVI's, that the sub/idx files be named exactly the same as the avi file with the exception of the SUB/IDX extension.

So the only way to use these multiple subs is to rename them before playing.
      That is what I know but my question is how I can take the two subtitle streams out of the sub file.

Comment

@eagleye

Is it possible to open the .sub folder and convert the two subtitle sets into two separate .srt files
        Yes, it possible. Google, download and install SubtitleWorkshop (it's free). Open your .sub and save it as .srt

my question is how I can take the two subtitle streams out of the sub file
        Right-click on file and select "Delete"
        sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

I thought that Fab always split each languages SUB/IDX files into discrete files for each language?
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

@GregiBoy
            Yep, it does.
            sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
              @eagleye

Yes, it possible. Google, download and install SubtitleWorkshop (it's free). Open your .sub and save it as .srt

Right-click on file and select "Delete"
              Subtitle Workshop (I have this program on my pc for ages) doesn´t open the sub file because there are two subtitle streams in it. I have tried that already days ago. The only thing I want is to separate these two subtitles streams that are inside the sub folder from each other so I can have one english.srt and one portuguese.srt.

Comment

@eagleye
                I don't think you completely understand structure of subpicture stream. At the same time, I'm not in a mood to give you detailed explanation - do your own research.
                Instead, I will give you a workaround - take it or leave it:
                (a) rip your content without subs and/or delete sub/idx files if you have them extracted.
                (b) demux subs separately, using third party program, i.g. SubRip to desired format.
                (c) mux all streams together using AVImux
                sigpic

Comment

@IP

I agree!!!

This user needs to do some more work/research on how SUB/IDX works when associated with AVI files and is used by Media Players.

Fab is doing it's job. The subs are not embedded in the AVI unless he has specified "BURNT IN" in which case they can never be extracted.

He need to suss out how to use the subs.

Comment

Hi eagleye,

Please check subtitle only one and select "Direct render to video" in Conversion Settings dialog. Do this, subtitle will shown in the video directly, not idx/sub file.
                    Hope this help you!

Wilson
                    Attached Files
                    For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
                    For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
                    If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the answers. They helped a lot. And yes.....I searched a lot with Google. For me these things are completely new and although I am an old man ...you are never too old to learn. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                      X