Converting to iphone 3G and iPad 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Converting to iphone 3G and iPad 2

I have an iPhone 3G and iPad 2. The specs for the iPhone 3G are 480x320 pixels. The ipad 2 is 768 x 1024.

When I convert the files, I am using DVD Ripper.

Why is it I am given choices larger than 480x320 pixels for the iPhone 3G? For example, I have Thor and the size of the file is 720x310 using H.264 and bit rate is 93 kbps. The movie played on my iPhone 3G. Why does it work?

When I convert to my iPad, I have just been using the same files (mp4 and mv4) that I have for my iPhone. They seem to work fine. Do I need to convert each DVD to both iPhone and iPad formats as is listed in DVDFab?

If I understand correctly, I think it also varies on how the move is created.

I'm new to this and there seems to be many options. I'm not looking at understanding every - just the basics so I can watch my DVD's on my iPhone and iPad.

Thank you.

Shawn

Hi Shawn:

I also have an iPad2, but instead of an iPhone, I have an iPod Touch. The iPad2 replaced my iPod, so I rarely use it anymore. The 2 devices use the same sort of movie format, H.264 in an mp4 or m4v wrapper. The mp4 format must be Basic, Level 3.1, which DVDFab does automatically for you, when you select either iPod or iPad profiles... and perhaps other profiles as well. The higher resolution files can be played on either device, what is actually the limiting factor is the bitrate. The iPhone will down-convert (or reverse zoom) the resolution to fit its screen). However, to guarantee a good picture on the iPad, you should probably push the bitrate as high as you can go, and see what the iPhone can take. The iPad2 can handle a lot higher bitrate. Since I only convert for the iPad2, I use the highest bitrate possible that will keep the size of the m4v around 4gb or less. For a resolution, I usually choose 704x400 or whatever is closest to that that DVDFab offers, experiment and see what works best for you.

Now that was for traditional DVDs, for blu-ray, of which I do have a few, usually I go with a higher resolution, taking one of the 1k resolutions that the program offers (again I experiment a LOT). I convert the movies 1 by 1, and check each one along the way, for audio sync and visual quality, there are no hard and fast rules, whatever looks best to you... is the best way!

Comment

Working...
    X