Screen Resolutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Screen Resolutions

I was reading on divx screen resolutions on wikipedia, and I noticed that you could have a screen resolution at 1280 x XXX for 720p or 180p. Is there any benefits if any at ripping at that resolution? Is the picture any better?

Depends on the resolution of your source.

Nothing is to be gained by using a resolution greater than your source.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

So since the source resolution for standard DVD is 720 x XXX , I would assume the source resolution for Blu-ray is for ie 1280 x XXX ? Plus does Blu-ray rips any better looking than DVD rips?

Comment

"ASSUME" = Make an ASS out of U & ME...

Nope!!! I'll try to be simplistic & generalistic so my apologies in advance to all the propellerheads that may take exception.

DVD can vary depending on region, 720 x XXX, 704 x XXX and I have some really funny resolutions usually caused by bad authoring. The variance in the XXX figure is caused by the aspect ratio at which the title is composed (4:3 -> 1:2.47) and can range from ~576 to 285.

BR's "Native Resolution" is 1920 x 1080 progressive and is commonly known as 1080p whereas 720p is a lower resolution of 1200 x 720.

The vertical resolution of either 1080 or 720 is again varied by the composed aspect ratio.

Yes, generally a BR Rip at 1080p is better quality than a rip at DVD res but there are the usual trade offs.

The file produced is usually in the order of 8x larger for around a 10% increase in quality (This is very subjective).

The other factors which come into the equation.

1. Your target device for playing must be able to play the BR Rips.
        2. The size of the screen you are displaying the result on and the distance that you sit for viewing.
        3. The resolution of the "ORIGINAL" source eg older TV series wereshot in SD an then released on BR and look absolutely awful.

Honest ansewr is "TRY IT FOR YOURSELF & SEE WHAT YOU ARE HAPPY WITH!!"

Hope this helps!!
        GregiBoy
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

@ GregiBoy
          Very well said!!!
          Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Wonderful! GregiBoy

Comment

Working...
            X