Encoding corruption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Encoding corruption

I am trying to rip a disc with DVD Ripper. The disc plays fine in media player, the disc previews fine in DVDFab, but when I rip the disc, I get the result in the attached image. I have noticed that around 90% of my rips have at least one instance of minor corruption introduced during encoding, but never on this scale.

Any ideas as to what may be going wrong?

I have attached a sample image of the corruption, and my internal log. I cleared the log before ripping this disc, so that you can see the relevant info.

This was on a two-pass, high-quality rip btw, but it does the same on single-pass.
    Attached Files

Actually, I now have reason to believe that it is not the encoding that is causing the problem, but the MP4 container. Playing the ripped clip back in Media Player and Quicktime, resulted in different levels of corruption. Ripping to a "generic avi" profile, resulted in a corruption free rip.

It's going to be a nightmare trying to work out if the rip is good or bad, if this is the case. Maybe I need to investigate if it's an ATi problem with MP4 playback.

Comment

Hi LeeC22,
      Please use 1-pass encoding method and Software for A/Codec, then tell us the result.
      Thanks

Comment

Hi,
        Well the corruption wasn't as bad... but it was still there. In the first image, you can see how the white text at the top, is not white. And in the second image, you can see the corruption along the bottom edge towards the right side.

So I get corruption in different places, which would indicate that the GPU and software MP4 encoding, are causing different levels of corruption.

The weird thing is, this is the only disc that has shown it this bad. The others I have done, have been the occasional flicker, that lasts for just a single frame.
        Attached Files

Comment

Okay, just to update this issue. I rolled back to 8.1.2.6 to see if there was any difference.

Leaving the GPU options turned on in A/V Codec, resulted in the same corruption during the opening text, but none during the episode.

Switching to Software, resulted in no corruption where there previously had been some.

This seems to indicate that whatever the problem is, was introduced between 8.1.2.6 and 8.1.3.2. If that encoding speed increase has come at the price of corruption, then I'd rather have a slower encoding.

Just something else to add... during my last use of 8.1.3.2, I got this error:-
          82m 22.33s: info: h264_encode: encode param profile(1) level(31) bitrate(2043)
          82m 55.07s: error: filter name(native_mux), type(128), id(11), get fatal exception
          82m 59.11s: ------ mobile work failed(504.00 0 error: filter name(native_mux), type(128), id(11), get fatal exception

Don't know if that is any help.

Comment

Hi LeeC22,
            Please post the whole internal log. Thanks.
            What's more, please copy the disc to HD using DVD copy-> Full disc to DVD 9 and try profile "generic.mp4.h264.aac" again.
            Wish it helps.

Comment

Hi terry5,
              Sorry, I deleted the logfile when I installed 8.1.2.6, I always start a fresh log when I install a new version. I just had that section saved.

I tried using the generic.mp4.h264.aac profile today, on 8.1.3.2 and it seems to have worked okay. I never use the generic profile, because when I first tried it, it wouldn't pick up 5.1 sound, it just gave me Dolby Prologic or Stereo. So I used the iPad multichannel profile, to get the 5.1 option.

It seems that somewhere along the line, the generic profile has been changed, because it now allows me to select 5.1. Even in 8.1.2.6, it would only allow me to have Dolby Prologic II... I tried that before installing 8.1.3.2 this morning. In fact, 8.1.2.6 failed on this same disc with a Pathplayer error.

So as of now, that profile seems to work. I will keep a close eye on my rips, and update if things start to go wrong again.

Comment

Working...
              X