Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know it's been asked, but I'm still having problems (slow conversion speed)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know it's been asked, but I'm still having problems (slow conversion speed)

My setup

Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit w/ SP1 and latest updates as of 11/24/09

Dell StudioXPS 16
    Intel Core 2 Duo 8800 @ 2.66
    4GB Ram
    Matshita BD-RE UJ235A SATA Blue Ray burner
    Seagate ST9500420ASG SATA 7200rpm 500GB harddrive
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 with 1GB Ram
    ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01
    DVDFab 6.2.0.5

Using the preferred method, I can copy a dvd to my harddrive (IE Monsters VS Aliens) in about 20 minutes. But, no matter what conversion I use in DVD To Mobil (AVI, WMV, etc) It takes damn near 2 hours to convert from the harddrive!!!

I had Daemon tools installed, saw that was a no no so uninstalled it after using the SCSI install tool to remove the driver. I've cleaned my registry, have almost nothing running other than my Bitware AV, Yahoo IM, and the drivers to run my laptop. I try very hard to keep a clean system.

My buddy never seems to have problems with conversion. Ever. Since way back in the day of DVDFab 4, but my systems (to include this one, now 6 different systems) have ALWAYS been slow, even when my machine out spec-ed him. WHAT am I doing wrong? In the time it takes me to copy and convert one movie, he can get two or three done I'm really at a loss.

Are you running single pass or 2 pass encodings?
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Did you enable cpu acceleration in the settings and enable turbo cpu under x to mobile.

Comment

Gregi - I use single pass, default setting

onneeye - I use pretty much all the default settings, except to change it to rip to the harddrive first. If I remember correctly, turbo cpu/acceleration is on by default, so yes, that's what I use.

Are there some Windows Vista settings I should be changing? I'm going to be changing up to Windows 7 here pretty soon (already ordered the upgrade disk from Dell, just waiting on it to get here). Is there some tweeks I've missed?
        Last edited by swany6mm; 11-26-2009, 07:08 PM.

Comment

On a machine of your spec, I would expect around a 1:1 conversion time, ie 90min title would take around 90mins to complete. I say this as I did have a similar specced machine.

If I remember rightly though, portables such as these can have their processing power dramatically reduced by some of the power settings as portable usually suffer from heat problems when the processor is fully utilised over a long period.

Just a suggestion.... Go into the BIOS and check for anything like that but make sure that you change the settings so that also maximum cooling is available.

Portables are notoriously bad for conversion processes because of the above whereas desktops generally do not.

Hope this helps.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
          X