Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) New to DVDFab - quality of encoded file is lacking

Hello forum regulars!

I've tried to resolve my issue through the guides and some forum searches, but no matter what I've tried I just can't seem to get smooth playback of my movies. Right now I'm working on Blue Brothers on BluRay (gift from my awesome wife).

Based on some of the searches I've done I am ripping the disc to my hdd drive instead of trying to rip and encode from my bluray drive. I've also disabled the CUDA functions so it all software based.

Any encoding results in a stutter/choppy playback. Any tips for a DVDFab newbie to get smooth high def encodings?

Desired Profile & Purpose
    • MP4.h264.aac
    • I'm trying to rip my DVD/BluRay collection to a HD format so I can stream from my home server to either another Win7 PC, TiVo Premiere or PS3.

Machine Specs
    • Mobo: MSI X58 Platinum
    • CPU: Intel Core i7 920 (not overclocked anymore)
    • RAM: 12GB DDR3-1600
    • Audio: SB X-Fi Titanium PCIE
    • GFX: EVGA 470 GTX (driver 290.53)
    • SSD: 120GB SATA II (c) - DVDFab is installed here
    • HDD: 500GB WD Black SATA II (d) - rips are stored here
    • DVD-RW: LiteOn iHAS220 SATA (e)
    • Blu Ray: LiteOn iHBS212 SATA (f)

Logs
    Attached as a text file
    Attached Files

How/what are you using for testing playback?
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
      How/what are you using for testing playback?
      I'll either play it back on my PC w/ Windows Media Player or copy it to my home server and play it through the PS3 or a TiVo Premiere.

Comment

I downloaded VLC last night and gave that a try, every file looks wonderful on my PC through VLC. However, when I copy that file up to my server and watch it on a TiVo Premiere it is choppy, so that just means the rip and encode are working fine. I just need a better way to play these through my TiVo's.

I'll test the PS3 later where I'm using the PS3 Media Server with VLC installed on the server and available to PS3 Media Server.

Comment

Unlike other software, DVDfab ripper uses CBR instead of VBR, so quality is very poor when files are small.

Try to make a 4,3 GB movie@1080 mkv with dvdfab and Handbrake or XmediaRecode, and you'll see why VBR is useful

But if you make big 1080 mkv (6 or 7 GB a least per hour), the difference is unvisible...

Comment

I've had this issue since I started using DVDFab back when it was version 7.

I took it as far as I could and tried every combination and test I could think of... the short of it is that an MP4 container with h264 and aac audio just doesn't play nice when DVDFab does the encoding.

I got fed up and just converted all my 'choppy' MP4 to MKV.h264.AC3 and they're silky smooth. Just means that I can't use the PS3 for streaming.

In saying that the latest version 8.1.5.1 has updated libraries, you could try that version.

Comment

Thanks rdorian, I'll give the beta version a shot and create both and MKV and a MP4 for comparison.

Comment

Working...
              X