Choppy Video on Blu-ray Rip to PS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Choppy Video on Blu-ray Rip to PS3

I'm at a loss to come up with an MP4 blu-ray rip that is destined for PS3 playback which plays smoothly. Every time I try I get choppy playback. The audio is fine, and the video doesn't jerk randomly - it's like watching stop-action. Like watching a flip-book.

This is the result using the default PS3 settings. the only change is increasing the file size to 3800MB, and decreasing the resolution to 1280xXXX.

I've tried it using software encoding/decoding as well as CUDA. The results are always the same. I've also tried versions up to the most recent beta.

I can rip successfully to MKV.

Anybody have any suggestions? I can add specific details later. The most recent attempt was Kung Fu Panda 2, but even The Thing comes up shuddering.

Note: I'm sneaker-netting the file over to the PS3 on a thumb drive, so no streaming. Direct file access only.
    Last edited by scatcher; 01-13-2012, 11:35 PM.

PS3 Jerky Playback

This is a problem that has been around for a while and there are other threads in the forum WRT this. I rip my BD's amd then use streaming from a NAS drive to the PS3 and I have previously had the same problem. However, I have managed to overcome it by fully 'Hard wiring' with CAT5/6 and using Gigabit 'switches' at both ends. Steaming is smooth without problems ---- As you so rightly say, MKV's etc stream perfectly without having to resort to extreme measures - The last I heard the developers were addressing the issue but this was some time ago

Comment

I'm not streaming at all. Local file access only.

Also runs choppy through Windows Media Player.

Ack... I just tried VLC Player and it looks fine.

So clearly the "ps3" transcode is good - you just can't play it on a ps3.

Comment

As Whaleshark mentioned above, the problem with jittery playback on a PS3, whether you're streaming or not has been an issue since the first QT versions of DVDFab. Version 8.0.8.5 can rip them fine to a file (MP4 in my case) and there's no issue whatsoever playing them on the Playstation 3. The same rip on any of the QT versions produces jerky video and audio. The earlier threads on this issue noted that the QT versions seem to be assigning a variable frame rate rather than the non-QT's fixed. Whether this has been determined to be the true cause of the issue has yet to be noted.

There's been mention from the DVDFab team that a fix is coming; however, there have been many releases of the QT build without resolution.
        Last edited by colossus71; 01-22-2012, 11:31 PM. Reason: Added text

Comment

Thanks for the followup. Unfortunately, 8.0.8.5 does the same for me. Do you use any hardware acceleration? Hmmm... maybe I'll try 8.0.8.5 with straight software.

Comment

I've been using CUDA acceleration for encoding (Software + CUDA in the settings). And, I've tried using only the Software setting. Both seem to work for me in 8.0.8.5. Neither work in any of the QT versions...

Comment

Working...
            X