X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maintaining Aspect Ratio on Mobile Videos

Hi all,

I have a Machspeed Trio v430. The display is 320x240 and it can play AVI and WMV files.

I am having trouble maintaining the aspect ratio on videos. Most of my videos are letter box (16x9) and show with the typical black bars top and bottom in DVDFab. I want to keep the black bars since my player will automaticallyl stretch video to 320x240.

In DVDFab, I select To WMV and choose the 320x240 screen size. In the Video Effect window, the image looks right, showing the black bars top and bottom. But when I convert it, the image is stretched to 320x240 with no black bars or it is 320x178 with no black bars. I can't seem to force the black bars to be included in the video file.

I tried the tutorials and read through the black bar posts on here but I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

Anyone got suggestions?

Should I enable Cropping?
    Should I select a custom size of 320x240?

Thanks,
    Eddy

Try and disable crop as it crops by default

Comment

Disable cropping in the "SETTINGS" page so that you do not have it inadvertantly on.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Hi, I would like to expand on this topic if I may. Maybe you can help.

My problem with Aspect Ratio is for an iPod Touch.
        Screen resolution: 480x320 px, with 3:2 or 1.5 aspect ratio.

I am using DVDFab 6.1.2.5
        I have used DVD to DVD to create a VOB file in a VIDEO_TS.
        When I play this VOB file on any Media Player or view it in the DVDFab preview window it looks fine. The movie has an anamorphic cinema Aspect Ratio of 2.39:1.
        I would like to keep that 2.39:1 ratio so I can see the whole picture, the increased letterbox bars up and down does not bother me.
        But when I use File to Mobile (DVD to Mobile same problem) with e.g. a 480x320px 1.5 ratio setting it squashes the width of the 2.39:1 picture so everyone on screen looks like they’ve been on a massive diet.
        It doesn’t matter what ratio I choose in either iTouch, iPhone or iPod settings and turning on or off the Auto Crop doesn’t help either. If I choose a setting with an Aspect ratio of 2.35, close to the movie. I get a 2.35 ratio clip with black bars down the sides and a squashed picture in the middle.

Media Player properties on the movie states its 720 x 576 px which is 1.25 ratio, close to 4:3. I guess this is the complete picture even though the embedded movie is 2.39:1.

Hope you can help.

Comment

You should not be using File to Mobile but DVD to Mobile which will then give you the correct aspect ratios.

Have a read of my "Best Practice: DVD to Mobile" thread. Link in my sig below.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

OK, thanks. I thought I tried it but it was late last night. I'll give it another go.
            Cheers.

And thanks for pointing out your Best Practice thread, I missed that before

Comment

Also make sure that you download and install the beta which has been just released as it has some new mobile features and I think some bug fixes.

Comment

Working...
              X