This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better audio quality than 128kbps??

Hi there, I'm in the process of wanting to convert my DVD collection to MP4 backup to play off an external drive through my PS3, and since have been tampering with the settings to rip a DVD to the PS3 profile.

I noticed the audio doesn't come out sounding that good even when set to 128kbps and regular Stereo. It seems kinda flat like alot of the high freqencies are being totally cut off. Any way to get a better quality rip of audio out of this profile?

I like the simplicity and time it takes to rip a single movie and the picture is great, but the audio sux. Anyone who can help it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Try using the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy profile instead. This will give the original 5.1 surround sound if you select it.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
      Try using the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy profile instead. This will give the original 5.1 surround sound if you select it.
      I'm new to the software so still maneuvering around within it. Where would I find this option? Is this like a drop down menu within the PS3 profile? I want my final movie file to be a single MP4 that contains the audio and video, and as far as I can tell PS3 profile is the only one that will rip to an MP4 while maintaining resolution settings with a bitrate of 1024 which looks pretty decent.

Comment

No.

Use the "GENERIC" device on the left and it will give you XVid MP4 video and the original sound UNTOUCHED in an AVI container,
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
          No.

Use the "GENERIC" device on the left and it will give you XVid MP4 video and the original sound UNTOUCHED in an AVI container,
          Worked out great, thanks for your help man. It compressed a 2 hour movie to an AVI that's just under 1GB and the quality is perfect. Thanks again!

Comment

Glad to be of assistance and glad that you are happy with the results....

Have a read of my "Best Practice: DVD to Mobile" thread if you are going to do a lot of conversions. (Link in my sig below)

Comment

What are the optimal bitrate settings if I want to stream a movie to a PS3 or similar with near DVD quality?

Comment

Well obviously the settings worked well for the PS3 user that started this post. I can't comment on your "and similar" as all devices seem to have little idiosynchrosies.

I suggest that in future, instead of hijacking other peoples threads, you start one of your own. It is common forum etiquette !!!!

That being said, use the profile that I indicated above with a video bitrate of around 1100 as a start point and see what you are happy with.

Comment

I've been doing a lot of DVD -> PS3 transcodes and, yes, muddy audio is the biggest problem I am having so far. I will try the suggestions above. I'm crossing my fingers that the generic device is compatible with the PS3.

Tim

Comment

the generic profile is compatible with the PS3. I use the DivX with AudioCopy and am extremely pleased with the results. The rip time is about half compared the the PS3 settings as well. I change the settings to 2 pass and used 2048 kb. Streaming to the PS3 is outstanding quality with these settings and highly suggest it.

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysBulkin View Post
                      the generic profile is compatible with the PS3. I use the DivX with AudioCopy and am extremely pleased with the results. The rip time is about half compared the the PS3 settings as well. I change the settings to 2 pass and used 2048 kb. Streaming to the PS3 is outstanding quality with these settings and highly suggest it.
                      Originally posted by timmus View Post
                      I've been doing a lot of DVD -> PS3 transcodes and, yes, muddy audio is the biggest problem I am having so far. I will try the suggestions above. I'm crossing my fingers that the generic device is compatible with the PS3.

Tim
                      You will both LOVE the suggestion GregiBoy gave me, it works PERFECTLY. I love the quality of the video and audio that comes out in the AVI file. For some films I choose either a straight-through audio copy, or if i'm not picky about the audio I select the "xvid mp3" format that allows me to choose the bitrate (and it does go higher than 128k).

The best part is that most AVI's are averaging out to 800+MB for most basic movies, it depends on the length of the film (mind you I'm encoding from my backup collection that were all previously shrunk with DVD-Shrink). There is no quality loss at all when I watch these on my PS3. Thanks again GregiBoy!

Comment

Working...
                      X