Couple of Newbie Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Couple of Newbie Questions

Have done a few rips with decent success just looking for a seasoned pro's recommendations. I want to rip to mp4 format (have 4 different devices that play mp4 files), they will be stored in my itunes library, they will be played on a 65" RPTV using an xbox360, a 50" plasma using a ps3, and ipad1 and an older small tv using an apple tv. I have a win7 pc running windows media center with a 3TB external usb drive and all devices are hard wired ethernet (no wifi).
    what are recommended files sizes
    what are recommended bit rates
    frames per second?
    audio bit rate?

one last stupid question: what is going to "LOOK" better, a high quality rip (800x??? resolution) as mp4 OR the actual dvd playing in a upconverting dvd player or bluray player@ 1080i

wthomas69
    Let me start with last "stupid" question. This question is not stupid at all, but rather very reasonable. Although answer is quite definite - BD 1080 will produce best picture, "LOOK" part is a very individual thing. DVD content being coded in MPEG1/2 code naturally will be "LOOK" much worse than ANY content coded in MPEG4.
    Resolution is not the only quality factor you should be looking for. In fact, that's last parameter in a list of quality determining factors. Codec and bit/pix ratio are the main ones.
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Working...
    X