Streaming to PS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Streaming to PS3

I just started using DVDFAB. I have the newest version.

My question is that when I'm streaming from my PC (hardwired though my gigibit router) to my PS3 (blu ray rips 5gb to 12gb MP4 files. I always use 2 pass option when ripping) it seems like its having issues buffering. I pause the movie and its good for a bit then it starts skipping/slowing again. Is there anything I can do for this to stop? I'm I bottlenecking my something somewhere....???

I have a I7 2600k, 16gb DDR3-1600 ram, 1gb 550ti video card.

Thanks to those in advance that can help!

Honest answer?

Don't use your PS3 as a player. Get a $100 dedicated media player such as the WDTV or AC Ryan.
    Use MKV instead of MP4.

You will save yourself $100's of heartache, even without the Cinivia protection crap.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

PS3 Streaming -- Bi-Bi Sony

I have to agree 100% with these sentiments --- After 40+ years of being totally committed to Sony products I will never buy another -- I've now 'thrown out' the PS3's and use a newly purchased DUNE Smart D1 media player - Bought it just in time as it's just gone up by $80! - I also have a WDTV Live box as well -- I now copy BD's to my NAS drive and play the M2TS files over the Dune from there - If I need smaller files, then I use the BD Ripper to convert to MKV H264 Audiocopy --- As I said above --- Bi-Bi Sony

Comment

I went ahead and bought a WDTV box...I will let you know how it works tomorrow...

Why MKV instead of MP4?

Comment

Why would you go with MKV instead of MP4? I was told if you have multiple devicies, MP4 will work will all...MKV will not work on all devices(so i've heard).

Any advise would be great

Comment

Why MKV?

It may be subjective, but MKV seems to have far better video quality --- Plus, it supports DTS which (I think...) MP4 does not ----- (certainly not if streaming through a PS3) --- And you are correct in that MKV will not stream through a PS3 but the majority of other players out there do support it. Don't get me wrong , MP4 is very good and will play on just about anything but to me, MKV is better ---- and I'll bet that there may be a few more Yea's and Nay's to this string......

Comment

2 Pass and 1 Pass

By the way, I only use one pass when ripping to MKV or even to MP4 - There are quite a few comments throughout this forum which suggest that 1 pass is more than adequate for quality purposes and of course, it's much faster. I've tried both 1 and 2 pass and really, I can't see any major differences.

Refer also to other guides in the forum and if possible, carry out your rips as follows;
              1) Copy the BD to your local hard drive first - Do not rip directly from your optical drive
              2) If you have not purchased the BD Copy module, then the programme will (in most cases) instead use the Free HD Decrypter which is built into DVDFab and is very good
              3) Carry out your BD rip using the copied BD folder on the local HD

This sequence has always worked well for me and as some of the moderators have pointed out, will save wear and tear on your optical drive

Comment

MKV will work natively on most modern devices with the exception of Apple CR#P and has far more flexibility and acceptance within the media player community.

There are workarounds for the brain-dead, Apple devices though.

I totally agree with WhaleShark and as he knows, I have been pushing this trolley a long time.
                Originally posted by mattu138 View Post
                Why would you go with MKV instead of MP4? I was told if you have multiple devicies, MP4 will work will all...MKV will not work on all devices(so i've heard).

Any advise would be great
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

[QUOTE=whaleshark;112477]I have to agree 100% with these sentiments --- After 40+ years of being totally committed to Sony products I will never buy another -- I've now 'thrown out' the PS3's and use a newly purchased DUNE Smart D1 media player - Bought it just in time as it's just gone up by $80! - I also have a WDTV Live box as well -- I now copy BD's to my NAS drive and play the M2TS files over the Dune from there - If I need smaller files, then I use the BD Ripper to convert to MKV H264 Audiocopy --- As I said above --- Bi-Bi Sony[/Q

Agree totally with ditching the PS3. The WD is the way to go if you want something that just works straight out of the box.

Hey Whaleshark > how are you finding your DUNE. I just got a smart H1 and it has given me some grief getting it to play with the rest of my toys but it seems to have settled in now and I'm loving it. Only upgraded for the DTS MA and BD ISO playback. I was starting to think I should have gone with the AIOS unit > much cheaper but happy with the DUNE now > lots of settings to get right

Comment

added the WDTV box and still same issue...

Well...I added the WDTV box and still its skipping/buffering too much. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Comment

Well...I added the WDTV box and still its skipping/buffering too much. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
                      Sounds like a network problem to me. Are you wireless or copper?

Comment

I'm hard wired directly into it from my megabit router...I've been on the WD forums and its not only me with the issue. I think I'm going to return the WDTV box...Any suggestion on what else to buy?

Thanks everyone!

Comment

DUNES and PS3's etc

"Well...I added the WDTV box and still its skipping/buffering too much. Anyone have any ideas?"

I've had this same problem with the WDTV box and the DUNE when streaming MP4's (My home network is all 1GB Hard Wired Cat 6) - Even happened when using a 'local' USB drive - Never did get an answer on the forum as to why this was happening - So I don't bother any more with this format -- I use all M2TS and MKV and these stream perfectly even though the bitrate is far higher - Try making an MKV file and see if this streams okay over the WDTV box - If not, then you may have a network problem - Are you wireless? If you are, then good luck with that.....

On another subject.....

"how are you finding your DUNE" -

I'm very impressed - No hassles with setup except that it seems important to set the auto framerate to 24/50/60 in order to cope with all aspects when streaming. Playback of the M2TS files is excellent with full DTS HD Master audio ---

On another subject.....

I now have 2 PS3's for sale --- Any offers??? the SONY TV's will be next for the scrap-heap --- Funny how companies alienate some of their best and longest serving customers is'nt it?

Comment

I'm hard wired directly into it from my megabit router...I've been on the WD forums and its not only me with the issue. I think I'm going to return the WDTV box...Any suggestion on what else to buy?

Thanks everyone!
                            Mate you had this problem when you started this thread (with the PS3) and now have the same problem with the WDTV if I am following you correctly. You have been advised to try MKV > have you done that or are you still perservering with the MP4 rip. If so then I would say your problem is not your media players but your MP4 rip. Your network sounds as though that is not the problem. I have not ever tried MP4 with FAB as it is an inferior container IMO as it can't handle DTS or DTS MA which are my preferred audio but I think Whaleshark (if I understand him correctly) was saying that there appears to be a problem with FAB and the MP4 container. You may be throwing the baby out with the bath water getting rid of the WD so soon.

Comment

I ripped some MKV files and the WDTV box will not show them as an option to play???? Do you know why this could be? also I trid the M2T file as well as suggested (37gb!!!) and that one plays perfect on the WDTV box!...

Thanks again guys...I hope you have an idea I can try with the MKV issue on the WDTV Box

Comment

Working...
                              X