Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper DVD ripping to format best suited for 55" TV

Hi all,

All rather new to threads and forums and this whole ripping thing so please bear with me.

I've recently connected my spare PC to my new Samsung 55" HD3DTV and I'm using it as a media centre PC to store my DVD collection amongst other things. Basically I want to back up my normal DVD, BlueRay & 3D DVDs to my hard drive and then rip them to the best format that will give me best picture quality and sound to store on my hard drives and box up all the dvds and turf them into storage.

So far, this is what i'm doing:
    *I've used DVDFAB to back up my dvds to hard drive (an ongoing process)
    *Now i'd like to rip them to a format that will give me the same good quality picture but obviously a smaller file size. I'm converting them to what I think will best for viewing on the 55"TV.
    *This is where it gets confusing.
    - Using DVD Ripper and the settings that it gives me for Ripping to MP4
    -to MP4(h64+aac)
    - generic fixed bit rate 820kps
    - 720 x 304 frame res - 0.150 Bits/Pixel - Aspect Ratio 2.36842
    - Encoding Method 2pass
    - Fixed Bitrate selected @ 820 kbps
    I'm using MP4 conversion because having read through the forums it seemed that the concensus generally was that MP4h264 was better than AVI. When I rip my BlueRay I will use MKV format.

The result so far:
    What I got was a picture that didn't filled the TV width but had large black bars at the top and bottom
    Q - Is it possible to get the pic to fill up the whole screen and not just the width ?
    The picture was rather pixelated,
    Q - Is that a matter of using the sliding bar ine the encoding method of conversion settings and taking it up to half way ie. 25000 kpbs which would give me, using the 720x304 a bit/pixel of 4.569 and aspect ratio of 2.36842
    Q - Would I do the same thing for MKV and also 3D conversion ?

Thanks !

oh ..... Earlier I was getting a warning saying that my nVidia card wasn't up to date and DVDFab just shut down, checking my drivers my card was up to date with all drivers ... i found a thread that suggested going into 'Common Settings' under 'General' 'A/V Codec' and changing the Video Decoder to 'Software' rather than 'CUDA' for all 3 options (H.264, VC1 and MPEG2) ... this fixed the problem.

Hi - There's a lot of debate about the right settings but one thing I would do straight away is make sure that you have the highest possible frame resolution set. DVDFab can be confusing because it's not normally the one at the top of the list (edit and then about half way down on the right). Aswell make sure you are using the right file container - I use AVI because I have had problems streaming over DNLA to MKV but MKV is best if you can get it to work. Then within the AVI/MKV settings you have options such as DIVX, H264 and XVID. Right now I am using AVI.XVID.Audiocopy which gives me surround sound but you may find that other settings give better/different results. There's also a lot of debate about manually increasing the bitrate settings but I tend to go with the DVDFab defaults. Also don't assume that all the quality is down to the settings. I stream to two different plasmas and one has slight issues copying with fast movement whereas the other doesn't. Hope this provides some...... limited help

Comment

Working...
    X