Freezing on (Xbox360) WMV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Freezing on (Xbox360) WMV

I have been trying to rip some old Disney TV shows from their DVDs, in particular Duck Tails, Rescue Rangers, and Darkwing Duck. I wanted to rip each episode (23min) into its own file, but with about 1:30 left in the video it freezes the picture with the sound continuing, after 50-60sec it syncs back up and finishes normal.

This only happens with the (Xbox 360) wmv profile, I have ripped the same files with the iPad profile and had no problems (when viewing on iPad).

Same problem here for me where I am missing the video but retain audio about 1 1/2 minutes before the end of a DVD rip to WMV. This only occurs with DVDs. When I rip a blu-ray to WMV I don't have the same problem. I haven't updated to the latest version that came out a couple of days ago. I'll try that and see what happens. Luckily for me I have only ripped my movies so far and haven't started yet on my boxed sets of TV series. I'm not sure what I will do.

Comment

Good think i did not buy the lifetime license, apparently this issue has been known for quite some time now and still no fix.

Comment

Other major problem I found with converting DVD to WMV files - when I do 5.1 surround the front left channel is missing for the entire rip whether I use a DVD or a ripped folder of the DVD. Between this missing audio channel and the missing video at the end, WMV is dead in the water for me for SD material. But for rips of my blu-rays I love it. I rip to 15k bitrate with 440kbps 5.1 audio and it streams wonderfully with outstanding picture and ok audio (wish I could go up into the 600+Kbps range). Fast forwards and skips and streams even over wifi.

For DVD's I am now using xvid encoding at 4400kbps. Looks quite good and keeps the audio as pass through so has outstanding sound. Is able to fast forward and resume in extender mode with no problems and streams well. I also liked ripping to VOB but it would only allow 30 sec jumps ahead - no fast forward which my kids seem to really want. But if that doesn't matter it gives you pass through video and audio and also seems to stream well over wifi.

Comment

Grrrr. Just checked my WMV blu-ray rip and it has major audio sync issues. I may end going back to just straight HTPCs where I rip to blu-ray folder and play back using TMT5. As all recorded tv I use is from OTA I don't need extenders and can just direct WMC to the shared folders. But I will tinker a little more as I would rather just use Xboxes as they are quiter, cheaper, and don't require as much maintenance.

Comment

Hi, roin559 and Eimoaotl

Please download the latest build 8173 and have a try! If it's still reproduced please post your log files!
            Thanks!

Wilson
            Last edited by Wilson.Wang; 04-07-2012, 02:51 AM.
            Please post your logs the default location is:
            For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
            For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
            Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
            If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

I ended up giving up on the WMV. What I did instead was install Windows 7 32 bit (was running Windows 7 64 before when I was having problems). I did this as I had read on another post that Windows 7 32 bit had fewer problems with audio getting out of sync. Then I ripped my blu-rays to M2TS at 7458kbps with audio AC3 at 640kbps (if original sound was DTS it would convert to AC3, if original sound was Dolby HD then I just kept the core AC3 without converting). I am using 8.1.7.3.

Ended up with much better audio quality than the WMV, and quite honestly the video ended up looking almost as good as the 15k WMV (even though it is HALF that bitrate). Streams great through windows media center to my xbox extender and has fluid movement. Doesn't have ff/rw but can skip ahead by 30 sec intervals which ended up being good enough for my kids. Remembers it's position when stopped and restarted. Lip sync was perfect as were the sounds from all channels. I also tried m2ts at 12000kbps - the picture looked outstanding but it had occasional dropped frames on xbox playback (but was gorgeous on my HTPC).

Comment

I've started ripping my regular DVDs to m2ts format at 12000kbs and 720P resolution (1280x720) with high quality audio poassthrough. The results have been outstanding with my Netgear streamer boxes, PCs running WMP and DVDfab's media player. One thing to note though is that I have to use software only and disable CUDA, otherwise things get our of sync with the audio and video. The nice thing abotu this approach is that my Blu-Rays and regulad DVDs are all in the same m2ts container format. That makes end point compabaility much easier. The 12000kbs is a bit high and could be lowerer to 8000kbs or so, if you want to save some hard disk space. I have 72TB on my media server so space isn't an issue for me.

Comment

Problem persists. I tried converting a DVD (Prince of Egypt) and a blu-ray (Tangled) to WMV again now that I am running Windows 7 32 bit with DVD Fab 8173. Same problem as before: on the DVD to WMV the picture stops at about 50 seconds before the end, the sound continues uninterrupted, and then the picture returns once there is about 20 seconds left in the rip. The blu-ray to WMV works fine as far as the picture goes, but the audio doesn't sync correctly so you get a lot of moving lips with speech that doesn't match.

Here is my log (FYI that the DVD shows framerate of 30000 even though I selected 29.97 and the bluray shows 24000 for the framerate even though I selected "same as source"):

0m 32.42s: got bdmv
                  0m 32.45s: got extended bdinfo
                  0m 45.00s: pathplayer enabled
                  0m 45.51s: no main title, turn off pathplayer
                  0m 19.38s: got bdmv
                  0m 19.38s: got extended bdinfo
                  0m 55.90s:

------ begin mobile work(1/2) ------

0m 55.90s: info: create config(0)
                  0m 55.90s: info: convert profile(xbox360.wmv.wma10)
                  0m 55.90s: info: dvd playlist(1),angle(0),chapter(1->1),3D(0)
                  0m 55.91s: info: streams((480.2)(128.2)(32.8))
                  0m 55.95s: info: set output video frame_rate(30000/1001)
                  0m 55.95s: info: subpicture preset(1), mode(1)
                  0m 58.99s: info: subpicture(32) mode(1)
                  0m 58.99s: info: connect to sub render filter
                  0m 01.30s: display only forced subs now 1
                  0m 59.47s:

------ finish mobile work ------

0m 01.18s:

------ begin mobile work(2/2) ------

0m 01.18s: info: create config(5)
                  0m 01.18s: info: convert profile(xbox360.wmv.wma10)
                  0m 01.19s: info: bluray playlist(0),angle(0),chapter(1->1),3D(0)
                  0m 01.19s: info: streams((4113.2)(4352.2)(4608.8))
                  0m 01.19s: info: set output video frame_rate(24000/1001)
                  0m 01.20s: info: subpicture preset(1), mode(1)
                  0m 01.20s: info: enable multi-thread software decoder
                  0m 01.27s: info: subpicture(4608) mode(1)
                  0m 01.27s: info: connect to sub render filter
                  0m 01.67s: info: processing source(00000.m2ts)
                  0m 17.90s:

------ finish mobile work ------

Comment

Hi, Eimoaotl

I have reproduced the error that freeze 20s when dvd ripper to WMV and reported to our dev. Please wait some time!

Thanks!

Wilson
                    Please post your logs the default location is:
                    For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
                    For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
                    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
                    If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Hopefully it works, the only reason I rip movies is to make it easier on our 4 year old. The Xbox360 is her cablebox (UVERSE), netflix, DVD, and music player all in one. Ever since i started putting her movies on a HDD there has been a lot less scratched/trashed on DVDs.

Comment

Any update on fixing the issue? Several releases have come out, but non of them address the issue with the Xbox 360

Comment

Working...
                        X