No announcement yet.

Blu ray to MKV quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Blu ray to MKV quality?

Just wondering how others on the forum rate taking a blu ray 50 gb movie and encoding to MKV using mkv264audiocopy? Do you feel you lose any video and or audio quality? Is so please explain your reasoning? I've done quite a few encodes and the quality to my naked eye (and ears) looks and sounds the same. Just interested in how others out there rate MKV container? Thanks.

IMHO, on 60", 52" & 42" (LG, Samsung & El Cheapo) screens sitting at the RECOMMENDED distance, I can see/hear no difference (Not 1 foot away and comparing each pixel as some seem to do, WOFT).

On the audio side, I have very good ONKYO and PIONEER receivers which I can use as either 5.1 or 7.1 and really cannot tell the difference there. (Maybe too much Jimi Hendri @ 200dB in my mispent youth)
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Hi Gregiboy, You've helped me numerous times in the past and have been a mentor on how to do this process. Always appreciated your feedback and direction! Just wanted to post this ? and see if anyone had issues that we lose quality going from a blu ray disc to an Mkv container. On another subject: how do you back up a movie that has PCM audio? What container do you use and what specific guidelines to get the hd audio? Dvdfab won't encode a pcm track?
      Any suggestions?

Comment

I used to be anal about it and use 4-6 different software packages to do the conversion and remux.

These days, if I want to keep such a movie (Most of them I think are crap and not worth keeping backed up & just put the disk away) I use an uncompressed MKV passthrough and wil reprocess when/if Fab and other software are able to process.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Yup, mkv264audiocopy is a clear winner with respect to top-notch quality BD archiving and I totally agree with my mentor, GregiBoy.

Yeah, he's my mentor as well.
          After several whacks with a 2x4 squarely to my noggin , the light finally went on and I began my disc-free, burn-free archiving...

I don't know what sort of kbps range you're using, but as long as it's not excessively compresssed, you should be all set.

With the typical action-packed flick, I tend to settle up around 15,000 kbps.
          As an example, True Grit (Jeff Bridges, main movie) went from
          ~27 GB to ~11-12 GB
          with no discernible difference when viewed on my 42" HDTV.

Solid choice!
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

can anyone tell me what the difference between the profiles mkv.h264.ac3 and dvdfab.hdvideomp3.mkv.h264.ac3

Comment

Working...
            X