This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shut down and reboot in the middle of the process

Oddly enough, I think I am having the same issue, however with Windows XP Pro. I had everything working fine, then it would just shut down and reboot in the middle of the process. I'd restart and sometimes it would work, but most times just reboot the system again. I began running a temperature log and didn't find any high temps. I was in need of a format and reinstall of windows, so I figured it was a good time. The format fixed the problem for about 2 weeks. Then, again, today I get reboots evertime I try to run a DVD to Mobile. Today I uninstalled and deleted all references to DVDFAB, however, once it was reinstalled, I get the same problem.

I copied the source files to another (much slower) computer, and have no problems with them using the exact same settings.

I'm running an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Processor (2.83 GHz) with 4 Gb RAM.
    Since the reinstall of windows, I only have Office, Quicken, Mcafee, and DVDFab installed.
    Profile I'm using is the Generic - generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy
    Using 2-pass, however, it never gets past the 1st pass.
    Everything else default.

SOURCE FILE TYPE: VOB
    SOURCE VIDEO TYPE: MPEG
    SOURCE VIDEO RESOLUTION: 720X480
    SOURCE AUDIO TYPE: AC3
    DVDFab VERSION: 6.2.0.5
    DVDFab PROFILE: generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy
    OUTPUT RESOLUTION: Same as source
    OUTPUT CROP: auto
    OUTPUT BITRATE: 2500
    OUTPUT PASSES: 2

I've attached my logs....

Thanks!

Jason
    Attached Files

If it's happened unattended, check your Windows Automatic Updates settings as Microsoft has a horrible default configuration of restarting the computer whenever any update comes in, regardless of the important stuff your computer is doing. I lost important data overnight until I figured out this was what the problem was.

If it's happening right in front of your eyes and you're sure it's an overheating problem, I would recommend a can of compressed air, take your computer apart and blow out all the dust, especially on the heat sink where your processor is. Take the CPU fan off, too, so you can get all the dust out. I had 100% DVD Fab failures (shutdown) just 3 minutes into a transcode due to overheating on a Celeron 2.8 GHz computer, and blowing out the dust solved the problem 100%... I've run about 40 hours of transcodes since then with no problem.

Tim

Comment

No, I'm certain that it is a problem with DVDFab. I know of the Automatic Update and have that set accordingly (as I too have lost data due to that setting).

I'm almost certain it is NOT an overheating issue as well. At first I thought it might be, so I installed a temperature monitor and logger. There are no noticeable changes in temp that would cause a reboot. In addition, as I noted, a reinstall of windows solved the problem for a little while. Last night I reinstalled windows again (Since I hadn't loaded anything but the basics from before) and am now reinstalling DVDFab. I'll update when I know the results, but anticipate it working for a little while.

Thanks!

Comment

While DVDFab may be the trigger, it is unlikely to be the cause on its own. Windows should catch any processing exceptions that DVDFab might create. I'm not a Windows expert, but I think you can set it to halt on exception rather than reboot so you can see where the problem is. Sometimes it is just a driver that has a bug that only hits 1 in 1000 times but DVDFab is running that path 1000s of times so you see it.

Comment

Check RAMs

Originally posted by jtrevill View Post
          ... I'm certain that it is a problem with DVDFab. ...
          I agreed with Complication, DVDFab may be the trigger but it's very unlikely that DVDFab is the cause of your PC's unexpected reboots. It's most likely an issue with your PC. One other possibility is that one or more of your memories are bad. Run a memory checker to verify that all the memory are working properly. Also, try removing and re-seating all the memory modules in case of marginal/no electrical contacts. Another factor to keep in mind is that Win XP can only recognize 3GB max even though 4GB is installed--normally, it should not be an issue, but check with your motherboard's manufacturer for the latest BIOS update just in case of design bugs.

Comment

Whens the last time you cleaned the registry, I highly suggest removing Mcaffe all
            together be sure to run the remnant removal tool , then rerun your reg cleaner I highly suggest ASCPRO by Iobits , When done have your OS availble and run sfc/scannow from the command prompt , this will see if XPPro has any corruption and will fix if it has then try running DVDFAB again.

ReadMeToo®
            Win7 certified

Comment

I Encounterd the same issues. On my system it turned out to be the CPU overheating. Installed temp monitoring software and could see temp climb to a point where it failed while using dvdfab. Just opend case for better airflow and problem solved, will be adding case fan.

Comment

Well, last week I purchased an upgraded case with a bunch of cooling and an upgraded power supply. New CPU cooler in the mail to me now. I'm about to reinstall DVDFab and see if there is a difference. I'll report back in the near future. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks to everyone who commented. I seem to have solved my problem. Just for everyone reading, no, as I suspected, it was not a cooling problem. tli seemed to hit the nail on the head. The ultimate resolution was a BIOS update. After that - all seems to be well, and I'm back to ripping dvd's again

Thanks!

now - if the WMV 5.1 issue would be corrected, I'd be set!

Comment

Working...
                  X