BD Movie to a video format for NAS Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) BD Movie to a video format for NAS Drive

I have a question about Blu Ray Ripper. I've been exploring ways to make a video library accessible throughout the house.
    I have a NAS Drive (External Storage Drive) connected onto the Home Network. Accessible by my TV in my Bedroom and Living room.
    So I've been researching/exploring formats converting movies to MP4, WMV, and AVI. I have been unsuccessful in MP4, WMV, and AVI. Meaning.....the files are created and my TV in the Bedroom and Living both see the file folders however ...they Do NOt see the Movies.
    I am wondering if I forgot a process or not in DVD Fab. I ended up BluRay Ripping into AVI so I can play on my Laptop then stream to the TV.
    Is there a way I can BluRay Ripper to a format where my TV's see it on the Network?

My apologies if I confused you.......let me know if I need to clarify....

thanks in advance,

NAS Drive Format

I have a very similar setup the only difference being that I use Media Player(s) at each TV to stream and play the movies from the NAS drive. It may not be the most elegant or economic solution but most media players (I have DUNE, PS3 (soon to be junked as part of my B--Bi Sony campaign) and WDTV. The Dune plays everything, the WDTV is also pretty good. As far as I can see, most TV's with 'Built-in' players are very limited in their capabilities for type of file playback - See other threads in this forum re Media Players - It's the only way to go --- I copy the BD as a M2TS file (Large) to the NAS drive which pretty much retains all the original quality and the DUNE streams it beautifully. If necessary, I will sometimes rip to an MKV which is also very good quality. Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks WhaleShark
      I'm going to research that MediaPlayer Option.....

Comment

See my reply in your other thread.

Originally posted by RC51Tofuman View Post
        Thanks WhaleShark
        I'm going to research that MediaPlayer Option.....
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

You may have already known this (or it isn't your issue) but if the hard drive in your NAS is fat32 (like most PS3 drives for example) then there is a limit to the size of the file they can read (I think its right around 4GB. Note the disk size is different from the file size, both have limitations). Most BD movies will be above this file size. The work around for me was to split the movie, but I don't care much for that, so I'm not ripping my BD's until I get a device that can read larger files. I'll be replacing my PS3 with a TV that can accept HDs via USB... this is the research I have ahead of me

Comment

From my bitter experience, I can tell you that the player firmware/software that the new SmartTV's use is less than ordinary. All that I have seen seem to be 2-3 years behind the new media players in stability, features and formats playable.

Again, being the cynic that I am, I regard these "SmartTV's" and "Brain Dead TV's" and the inclusion of the media player facility is just another markiting ploy to flog their wares to the unwary.
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

thanks for "chiming-in". I appreciate all the wisdom....
              This is Such a "Downer"
              I had bought a 6tb Western Digital My Book Live Duo Network (NAS) External Drive.
              I specifically bought this......Drive to hook up on my Network for the exact main purpose of Streaming Media to ALL my TV's in the house.....

Now in reading Western Digital basic Media Player......(briefly) can I hook this up to the Network......meaning 1 WD Media Player for all my TV's in the house? Or do I have to purchase 1 WD Media Player for Each TV ?

I'm dumbfounded.........and the spending of $$$$ goes on and on....

RC51

Comment

You need a player per TV. You could have save some dollars on those over-marketed TV's.

Each media Player should cost you around $100 and it'll save your that in time buggerising around with the TV's and sub-par video formats.

Originally posted by RC51Tofuman View Post
                thanks for "chiming-in". I appreciate all the wisdom....
                This is Such a "Downer"
                I had bought a 6tb Western Digital My Book Live Duo Network (NAS) External Drive.
                I specifically bought this......Drive to hook up on my Network for the exact main purpose of Streaming Media to ALL my TV's in the house.....

Now in reading Western Digital basic Media Player......(briefly) can I hook this up to the Network......meaning 1 WD Media Player for all my TV's in the house? Or do I have to purchase 1 WD Media Player for Each TV ?

I'm dumbfounded.........and the spending of $$$$ goes on and on....

RC51

Comment

Gregiboy,
                  I hear you Loud & Clear......got it.....
                  Now the only problem is my MKV Ripping......( I used AudioCopy format).
                  The process finished however...I don't see any playable file on my computer....

3 files
                  IDX
                  MKV
                  SUB
                  all files are unplayable

can you help?

thanks,

RC
                  Last edited by RC51Tofuman; 07-08-2012, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Download and install VLC Player. It plays EVERYTHING and is FREE.

Comment

sounds good....downloading vlc right now

Comment

thanks

Gregiboy....
                        You are theee Man!!!!
                        it works.......

thanks much

so.....now that that is working.........

Last but not least......
                        MKV is the way to go.......for Ripping? along with Audiocopy format?

RC

Comment

Yes, undoubtedly....

Comment

Gregiboy,
                            What's the difference between AudioCopy and AC3 format?

RC

Comment

Audiocopy take the audiostream and copies it into the MKV container unchanged whilst AC3 converts the strean that you select into AC3 format (Dolby Digital) and puts the converted stream in the container.

Whenever you convert ANYTHING, losses occurs... Some noticeable, some not.

Comment

Working...
                              X