best Format to Rip into

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) best Format to Rip into

I am getting somewhat acclimated to all the functions of DVD FAb....however in some aspects i am a bit confused....and after searching and searching....I can't find the answers.

When I Rip a BD....what is the Best Format AVI, WMV, AVI, MP4 that has the best compatibility with most media players / computers...etc...etc...

Also what is the best settings to use.......when Ripping to these formats with minimal quality loss from the Original Source BD?

Did I ask the impossible? Or should I be prepared to get hit from all sides?

thanks,

No, you won't get hit from all sides as it is a valid question but there are a few different answers.

I use MKV as my container of choice. Most modern media players will support this with the exception of the Apple crap, which I recommend that you stay away from anyhow.

I always use the audiocopy feature so that I retain the soundtrack untouched but some media players struggle with the HD MA audio but this is becoming a less common issue.

The video is another kettle of fish though and is very subjective and really depends on the size and capabilities of your display device. There is only really one answer to this and that is your own eyes and what YOU are happy with.

As a general rule thoug, maintain the 1920 width, leave Fab trim off the extraneous black letterboxing and calculate the height. Bitrates, etc are best tested by you. I and others on this forum generally cannot pick the difference between transcodes that we make that are between a half and a third of the original BD size.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by RC51Tofuman View Post
    I am getting somewhat acclimated to all the functions of DVD FAb....however in some aspects i am a bit confused....and after searching and searching....I can't find the answers.

When I Rip a BD....what is the Best Format AVI, WMV, AVI, MP4 that has the best compatibility with most media players / computers...etc...etc...

Also what is the best settings to use.......when Ripping to these formats with minimal quality loss from the Original Source BD?

Did I ask the impossible? Or should I be prepared to get hit from all sides?

thanks,

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Gregiboy,
      thanks for the response. I will give the MKV a spin (try).
      This is my setup at home......
      Office/Entertainment Room - running Dual screen Monitors on my Monster Tower PC (all-in-one) BluRay Burner/Players. Main Screen is 21 inch monitor and my Secondary Screen (where I play the movies) is Panasonic 55 inch Plasma VT25.
      Living Room- Samsung 8000 series 65 in LCD
      Master Bedroom- 55 inch Sony Bravia

All these TV's are connected to the Network and connected to my NAS External Drive. My plan is I want to start building my Movie Collection. I have 6TB of dedicated space for Media (movies). I would love to stream all the movies.

With the above said......through my endless nights of surfing this forum and the internet. I would want the best BD Ripping Format. This is where you experienced individuals can enlighten me.......on your experience. I've spent endless amount of time.....trying to figure this out......and truthfully.....I'm Burnt out.....

My main goal is to have the best Video and Audio quality. I'm sure everyone is after the same.......After spending countless hours......of Ripping and Reviewing.....I'm strung out at this point.....

Knowing my TV sizes.....is MKV still the way to go you would say? or MP4?
      what about the Audio part.

As always...I appreciate all responses.....to get me "up to speed" on how to work this DVD Fab Software......

Thanks,

RC51

Comment

RE: BD Ripper best Format to Rip into

Hi , sounds like you're on the right track ..
        I have the same goal so I use Software only mode and the below profiles

A: MKV remux .. which is passthrough to MKV .. files come in between 18 to 30 Gig
        But look and sound absolutely amazing .. that is my best quality option
        or alteratively
        B: MKV Audiocopy and a Video rate of 15000 kbs files come in between 9 to 16 Gig
        I also Use Arcsoft Totalmedia Theatre as I believe it gives me the best picture quality and deeper blacks ..
        Good luck with it all .. hope this helps

Comment

as of right now....I'm am Ripping MKV and utilizing AudioCopy option....
          Hope this works.....
          However it still does not explain why I can't see the actual Movies on my Smart TV's that are connected to the network (NAS Drive)

I have a Sony Bravia Smart TV and a Samsung 8000 Smart TV

Any experience in this?

thanks,

RC

Comment

I suspect that the "SmartTV's" aren't as smart as they are supposed to be and won't play MKV's. As I said in my other post. the TV Playee software is a POS. I sold my 9000 series Sammy for just that reason.

You can test it though by putting a MKV on a USB drive and try playing it from there which will isolate where the problem is.

DO NOT GO MP4.....
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Gregiboy....
              I am starting to believe you about the the Smart TV ...not being soo SMART
              I just Ripped BD movie using MKV and AudioCopy profile.....

The Rip Process finished however I don't see any Playable file on my computer?
              3 files
              IDX
              MKV
              SUB
              all files are unplayable
              Am I doing something wrong?.....Some recommendations please....

Thanks,

RC
              Last edited by RC51Tofuman; 07-08-2012, 05:06 AM.

Comment

The MKV file is the video file. the SUB/IDX files are for subtitles.

Comment

You will need a MKV capable player like Windows Media Player Home theatre edition or PowerDVD or Arcsoft total media theatre or something like that to play H.264 content then all will appear right before your eyes ..

Comment

Hi RC51Tofuman
                    You can also play these files with these VLC and also Fabs own player
                    CBR929
                    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

thanks guys.......
                      I have downloaded VLC.......and it worked like a charm.........

I've found a solution to stream to my TV's in my other rooms........
                      My Laptop is equipped with Intel Widi

I will just stream directly to my TV's via Widi adapter........

What do you guys think?

RC

Comment

Another option is to use the m2ts container format instead of MKV. I prefer it because I haven't found an endpoint yet that doesn't support m2ts. MKV is a little more flexible but m2ts is slightly more broadly accepted across streamer devices and smart TVs.

Comment

got it....thanks !!

Comment

Working...
                          X