X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie-Questions

Hey,
    I just purchased DVDfab and im quite satisfied with it, but i have some questions:
    When converting a DVD to Avi, which profile should i choose? The thing is, that I want 5.1 Sound, but when i use the generic.avi.divx or xvid i dont get 5.1. I can choose Dolby Pro Logic II which simulates 5.1 but i want real 5.1! Only in avi.default i get 5.1 but there i can't choose the audio-bitrate....can't i have both? Add. Info: I just play the movies on the PC
    And second question:
    Can i somehow regulate how fast DVDfab works? so that the CPU dont always runs at 100% and i can do other stuff on the PC meanwhile?
    Thx!

You can't have both on the audio.

If you use the profiles ending in audiocopy, Fab does just that and cannot manipulate the audio track.

I generally use the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy profile with 1100 video bitrate, resolution the same as the original DVD (720 x XXX PAL, 704 x XXX NTSC. The XXX figure depends on the aspect ratio at which the original title was composed) and use 2 pass encoding for the best results.

To ensure that Fab is running at the max speed, Go to Settings-Convert and make sure that the "Turbo CPU" is turned on and you can also adjust the memory used but at Max, it is doubtful whether th PC will be useable for much else.

Also, if you have a supported Graphics Card, GPU accelleration will also speed up the process.

Have a good read of my "Best Practice: DVD to Mobile" thread (Link in my sig below) to help you streamline the process.

Hope this helps.....
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

OK, thx
      I already red your tutorial, it helped me a lot.
      So you can generally say that the audio quality at .......audiocopy is better then .....mp3, right?
      and one last thing: the framerate....i always choose as source, is that right? I mean i had no problems with it, but I just would like to know

Comment

Yeah, I always regard the source audio as the best as it hasn't been altered in any way.

Framerate, you are totally correct. Same as source. Sorry I missed that out.

I have actually modified the profile so that I do not even have to think anymore. All the settings are held.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

ok, thx a lot!

Comment

hey, me again
            i have another question
            is it possible to convert a film which is split on 2 DVDs in one avi-file? i tried it with first converting as usual and then putting the 2 avi files together with viritualdub, but an error occured, something with different bitrates.....so i wonder if its possible using dvdfab only?!

Comment

Working...
            X