Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best XBox360 profile for HDTVs?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think your answer about WMV is in GeekMan's post # 11.

File sizes would vary but I would think around 3Gb @ 3300.

I personally never go over 1500, file size around 1Gb, but what the hell, try it out for yourself.

As I have said many times, just do a couple of chapters at different bitrates and then make your own value judgement on what you are happy with.
    Last edited by GregiBoy; 12-15-2009, 11:25 PM.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I am interested in file size as well. He says 3300 is great quality but how big? 1gb, 3gb?

thanks
      Sean

Comment

I've edited my post.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I really think 3300 is way to high. I guess if you dont care about file size then whats the point of compressing. You may as well have the dvd ripped to your computer.
          Most people can't notice a difference of anything higher than 1100-1500.
          Seems like just a waste of space if you ask me.
          Try it out like everyone mentioned before.

Comment

Hey all,
            I've tried the following bitrates on my HiDef 106" screen (DLP projector):
            • 1100 (good, but definite "blurriness" around things like hair and fur, and a "blockiness" to large swathes of color)
            • 2200 (better, but still noticeable blurriness and blockiness as above, just not as pronounced)
            • 3300 (looks close enough to the DVD source as to be nearly indistinguishable, except for some fast action scenes and some scenes with very large and fast color changes like an all black scene going suddenly white)
            • 4400 (can't tell the difference between source and compressed file unless actively searching for faults and even then they are so slight that they do not detract from the movie)
            • 5500 (same as 4400)

I have since set my generic.default to the 4400 setting and have done quite a few conversions. For me, file size is unimportant because I want the best looking conversion I can get for viewing on my large screen which is why the 4400 works best for me, YMMV. The AVERAGE file sizes of my test files (Monsters Inc, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Finding Nemo) were as follows;
            • @ 1100 ~1GB
            • @ 2200 ~1.75GB
            • @ 3300 ~2.2GB
            • @ 4400 ~2.5GB

Lastly, does anyone know how to save and export different presets for DVDFab? I see that there's a forum on sharing these presets, but I can't seem to find the instructions of how to save, name and export them. Any help would be appreciated since I'd love to share these presets with the community.
            ------------------------------------
            Just another moron with a keyboard.
            ------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks for the research Geek. The profile you made is nice and makes it so much easier. I am running tests overnight tonight to see if I can notice the difference between 1100 bitrate and the 4400 you have your profile at. Others have said to turn the crop off and you have your profile set to automatic. Have you done any testing on this and if so, what are the results?

Comment

Thanks for this thread, but I'm trying to get the 360 to do 5.1 sound, I've discovered that it will copy to xbox360.wmv10 and still do 5.1/dolby digital sound well, with the exception of dts sound, which ends up overlayed and garbled!

Comment

Geekman, that's a pretty nice set of test results. Thanks for making that up. Gives a user a decent perspective of what looks almost like the original at the least needed filespace.

We all know there's no PERFECT setting, each person is different, however, i have ALWAYS felt there is still a pretty decent overall setting that can work for most to keep size down reasonably and yet not sacrificing much if at all for quality.

Good example. Notice how almost ALL downloaded cartoon tv shows are about 176mb and still look great for SD versions, and real tv shows are around 349mb and also look fine for SD. I am using this as an example, as that's how i learned to get the best quality for a fair filesize overall. And just used all the encoding specs from the file to make all my own future rips of my show DVD's. And likewise for movies. I grabbed a few online of ones i bought, and looked at all the encoding details to get a good idea of what settings to use to get filesizes i am happy with and still be happy with video quality and audio. Hope that helps other's.
                  SVN :

Comment

Working...
                  X