Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Not reading from DVD

Hi all,

Hoping somebody can help me here. I have been running DVDFab on my laptop for a while now - works great.

I am looking to replace my laptop and I have a Dell Optiplex 330 I am going to run DVDFab on. The problem is it simply will not work in the Dell PC.

The machine specs are windows 7 32bit, 4gb Ram, intel core duo 2.4 ghz, LG Blue ray drive, no AV installed or firewall running. (I have exactly the same problem using the original DVD drive that comes came with the machine). NB: in a bid to get the thing working i have rebuilt my machine several times not the issues are exactly the same.

All other blue ray, DVD playing and ripping activities with DVD Shrink work fine.
    The problem is, simply put, that DVDFab does not recognise the disk in the drive. i have tried several things I have read various articles that have similar signs but nothing seems to work.

One last thing I have noticed is that one I open DVDfab and close it although it appears to have closed the dvdfab.exe processis still running and cannot be killed. This is the reason I have rebuilt them machine several times, I was blaming windows 7.

I have run several versions of DVDfab and the issues is exactly the same for all versions - including the newest version I have tried today.

I have not posted any logs, as I have no idea what would be useful or what would be needed.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

Hi mps
    Do you have auto play disabled for all programs?
    Do you have any on the fly decrypters running in the background?

CBR929
    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Please make sure the drives in Common Settings-> DVD/Blu-ray-> Drives is selected.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Just switched off auto run and no on the fly decrypters are installed.

The Drive was already checked.

Unfortunately there is no change.

Thanks

Mike

Comment

Further thought, I would suggest that there is a conflict somewhere. The issue with the DVDFab.exe process left running after the program had closed is probably key to this. Not sure where any conflict could be as the symptoms have been the same since every rebuild?

If I reboot my PC when DVDFab has not been running it takes seconds. Once I have run DVDFab it takes around 10 mins to shutdown, after force shutdown.

If I try and kill the process through task manager or the CLI it has no effect?

I am not getting any errors in the windows event logs.

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

Please uninstall DVDFab completely and run CCleaner. Re-install the latest release 8215.

Comment

Run msconfig.exe and click the start up tab, uncheck everything, reboot and see if it does the same thing. I would not normally suggest this but since you're not running AV or firewall it can't hurt. If it does work just start checking things one at a time until you find the culprit.
              How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi Chaps, sorry for the delay, just had to take a quick trip to Ireland.

Unfortunately the issue persists.

Ok, the is what I have done based on the last 2 post suggestions ran msconfig and switched every thing off - no change.

Uninstalled, rebooted, ran ccleaner rebooted, checked msconfig (nothing running in setup), reinstalled, rebooted - exactly the same issue, can't see the DVD and the process does not stop when the program is closed.

Cheers,

Mike

Comment

I'm wondering whether Windows explorer can see the disc or not.

Comment

Originally posted by mps View Post
                    Further thought, I would suggest that there is a conflict somewhere
                    Yep, this sure sounds like your basic I/O conflict.

Please select the following:
                    Common Settings > DVD / Blu-ray > Read > I/O Mode >
                    SPTI

Fab's default settings should be Auto, but I suspect (hoping, actually...lol)
                    that somehow ASPI is loading. This will cause Fab to crash and burn on Win 7.

Curious, how are your ODDs (and HDDs) configured in your bios?
                    If no dice with the above, you might try selecting (or confirming) IDE as opposed to AHCI (you're not running RAID...right?)

Hope this helps
                    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by terry5 View Post
                      I'm wondering whether Windows explorer can see the disc or not.
                      Hi terry5...maybe you missed this?
                      All other blue ray, DVD playing and ripping activities with DVD Shrink work fine.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

After sleeping on it, another thought just popped into my head.
                        My wife contends this delay is a direct result of my recent surgery, detoxing from anesthesia and old age (63).
                        I say it's just good, old-fashioned "stream of consciousness"...hehehe.

If still no resolution, please open Windoz device manager and scroll all the way down to VSO.
                        Expand VSO and see if you have anything resembling patin-coffin driver.
                        Delete any/all entries for p-c.

VSO is the only software that ever used it.
                        It is no longer required for VSO as VSO uses SPTI for its access layers.
                        As a matter of fact, VSO support...suggests deleting p-c if problems arise.

I'm not sure p-c is even auto-installed by Fab any longer, but it's worth looking.
                        I just recently did a fresh win7 Pro install, but I also installed a few of my old Fab versions, 4, 6, 7 and non-QT 8 so I can't confirm

Best of luck

Comment

Sorted!

Thanks to all that posted and for the ideas of checking the BIOS. The problem was that be factory default for the Dell Optiplex (330 anyway) is RAID autodetect/AHCI - which is what my system was set to. There are 2 other options RAID Autodetect/ ATA (which I selected) and RAID On.

Rebooted the machine and when it booted windows installed the new drivers, rebooted again and job done - works perfectly! Will post an image of the BIOS screen if the iPad will let me.

Thanks for the help and advice to all.

Mike.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	308453

Comment

Thanks to all that posted and for the ideas of checking the BIOS. The problem was that be factory default for the Dell Optiplex (330 anyway) is RAID autodetect/AHCI - which is what my system was set to. There are 2 other options RAID Autodetect/ ATA (which I selected) and RAID On.

Rebooted the machine and when it booted windows installed the new drivers, rebooted again and job done - works perfectly!
                            You're very welcome.
                            Glad to hear you're up and running.

Comment

Working...
                            X