X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Frames Per Second

curious
    Is there an article on how to boost your Frames Per Second when encoding Dvd to file?
    You would naturally think a faster computer would make it better, but im not to sure if its as simple as that.
    I have tried a Dual Core 3.00 gig machine with 3 gig of ram. PC-6400
    and a Dual Quad Core machine XEON 2.0 gig (8cores) with 4 gig of ram and both perform around the same frames per second. averages around 130-150fps.

The CPU is only around 20% usage on the dual quad core.
    I then tried to run DVDFAB 3 times at the same time thinking that would make it go faster all in all. I was wrong. It stayed around 30-40% usage, and 1 session was at around 120fps and the others were 10fps.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Also, I would love to hear how the I7 processor users are experiencing fps. Are people out there averaging 250-300fps?
    Thanks!

BTW.
    sometimes i do get average of 200-230fps but not sure why.

Just doing DIVX compatibible AVI + mp3
    128kbps sound at Dolby 2
    1100 fixed resolution
    2 pass

Anything else u need let me know.

Comment

please somebody help

Comment

Why bump this thread and ask for help?

It is obvious that from the lack of response that:-

There are no suggestions to help you
        Users are not interested in this subject
        Users are happy with their current performance

I think you are chasing the impossible dream.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

The FPS will change based on the complexity of the content being compressed at a given moment. I wouldn't pay that much attention to it. Total time vs. movie length is a much better indicator of how fast your PC is.

Comment

Application performance is a bit more complex than you seem to be allowing for bernard - you'll need some better monitoring (tools/stats) before we could identify the bottleneck in your computer. (need number of threads in use, io queue depth, io queue wait % are especially important). Also are you compressing directly from a disc, or from a hard disk iso?

From the little you told us (I assume you are compressing from files off a hard disk otherwise your 4 copies test wouldn't make sense), it sounds to me like you may be disk io limited. This could be either raw io bytes/sec, number of available OS buffers or file system/cache settings. Try putting the read video file on a different hard disk than your temp or output files. If possible the other hard disk should be on a different io controller/channel. If that helps, other things you can try is formatting the HD with larger sectors, raiding a couple of HD together (raid 0 for performance).

For what its worth I get 230-260fps on a amd phenomII (quad) off a single WD caviar black (sata) disk reading from an iso file. I'm running Win7RC ver 7100.
            Ask a geeky question, get a geeky answer

Comment

Frame resolution makes more difference than anything. My PSP for instance has a native resolution of 480x272 that’s all I can see on the device period. If I forget and attempt at 720x480 the FPS drops to about half and takes twice as long to complete. A complete waste of time and file space unless you are going to display to a big screen.
              How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

I just built a new Ripper. i5 2.66GHz, 4GB with a Segate 7200 rpm Sata drive running Win 7 x64.

I just finished it last night and looks like 250-300 FPS is going to be the range. The CPU is only @ about 35%, so I kicked off converxtoDVD and got the CPU up to about 95% and the FPS on DVDFab dropped to about 150 FPS while convertxtodvd stayed around 350FPS (same as when it ran alone).

Both were accessing the SATA HD and both were writing to it.

Seems to me DVDFab may be I/O constrained.

I'm very happy with my results as it takes about 45 min to do a 2:13 movie using generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy, 2 pass, AR = orginal source (croped bars our) and bitrate set at 4096. It took be about 3 hrs on my single core machine.
                I'm a PC and I play Poker

Comment

Working...
                X