No announcement yet.

DVD to MKV, almost perfected!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper DVD to MKV, almost perfected!

Hello, i've been storing my DVD's uncompressed (just the film, no subtitles & only English soundtrack) for years onto my ageing server, i'm nearing the 4Tb limit.
    So i've been looking through the forums, searching for a very good compromise on file reduction, but trying to keep the quality.

I've finally settled for the DVD Ripper option, going DVD to MKV using "generic.mkv.h264.aac" setting. I move the 'Fixed bitrate' slider to 0.500 Bits/Pixel.

This gives me a 30-50% reduction in filesize and the quality in the film is very good, i find myself going over several scenes from the .vob to the .mkv comparing and there's is very minor differences. I also think when viewed on larger screens the .mkv lookers better due to it's softening & better handling of shading.

The only problem i'm getting is the occassional frame loss and very small glitches of noise/corruption which are not visible on the DVD source files.

Any ideas about ironing these last problems out? I have a GTX580, but i'm still undecided if the quality is better by just using the CPU (2600k 4Ghz)

Thanks for reading...
Working...
X