CPU base priority

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) CPU base priority

I want to avoid "installing" a portable DVD player in my vehicle for traveling. Looking to convert some DVDs and Blu-Ray discs to MP4 to put them on a tablet for my daughter. As such, considering upgrade from my very old version (v5) of DVDFab to the current version.

Been testing out the trial version on my media server, and as expected the conversion processes peg my Athlon quad-core CPU to near 100% on all four cores. As I have other stuff running on the server, like the streaming software and multiple VMs (virtual machines) that I don't want to adversely affect, is there a way to have DVDFab default its conversion process to "Below Normal" or "Low" on Windows 7?
    Last edited by SilvrDrgn; 12-17-2012, 06:34 PM.

You can try turning off "Turbo CPU" and cutting down on memory use and see if that helps you out. See attached:
    Attached Files
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Will try that when I get home and then report back here. Thanks.

Comment

Let us know how it goes for you.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Some years ago i used a program called 'set affinity', see if you can find it on the net. It sets & stores cpu priorities for programs and keeps it when rebooting.

Comment

@90312, it looks like turning off the Turbo option works in a roundabout sort of way. Shutting that off causes the DVDFab.exe and FabCore.exe processes to alternately bounce back and forth to the top of the CPU usage list. One stays there for a bit, then the other takes a turn. This reduces the frame rate for conversion from about 21 down to about 11 based on my testing. Not ideal, obviously, since conversion would take about 50% longer. Could probably stay near 21 FPS simply by having the base priority reduced instead of this Turbo option. That way when my other services on the system need CPU, they'll get it since they'd be higher base priority. Could you please put this into the DVDFab suggestion box, if you have one.

@pbrain, I'll see if I can find that or a program like it. Thanks.

Comment

There is a feature request forum for ideas like yours here: Add your request there.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Will do. Thanks again!

Comment

here's "TaskAssign" (i've only tried it on XP64)

you'll just have to change the .log to .exe using the 'cmd' tool
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X