Conversion framerates with various settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Conversion framerates with various settings

Testing various conversion settings with Blu-Ray Ripper v8.2.2.5qt. Have an AMD quad core and older NVidia GeForce 8400 GS installed. CUDA/DXVA is supported on it. Source is actual Blu-Ray disc in the reader on my computer. Converting to MP4 via one of the built-in templates. Various settings and conversion framerates shown below.

Decode / Encode / FPS:
    Software / Software + CUDA / 4
    CUDA / Software + CUDA / 5
    DXVA / Software / 17
    Software / Software / 20
    CUDA / Software / 21

The last three FPS results seem to be expected for my hardware. Fairly good FPS and high main CPU usage near 100% on all four cores.

The first two FPS results seem strange to me. Very low FPS and also very low main CPU usage - cannot get a firm measurement on it.

Why would activating Software + CUDA for encoding slow the FPS way down and not seem to use the main CPU hardly at all?

Probably because the software is passing the lion's share of the workload off to the GPU, which in your case does not have enough horsepower to encode as fast as the CPU. My advice is to turn off all GPU activity and let the good times roll.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

'Tis what I figured since the 8400 GS is quite low powered. Just wanted to confirm. Thanks!

Comment

Sure! I had the same issue with an 8300 GS.
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

If i remember right the 8400 only has 32 cuda cores, which if you compare the below will give an idea of processing...

i7 2600k @ 4Ghz cpu only (ht on, 8 threads), done a dvd to h264 at around 220fps

Same file with gtx580 (512 cuda cores + higher clock than 8400) does around 400fps

But reading a lot of threads, a lot of people don't like the results of a cuda processed file...i find a very marginal difference with the cpu doing slightly 'better' quality and also slightly smaller file size (around 2-5% smaller)

Comment

Working...
          X