Which 3D method do I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which 3D method do I use?

I have an LG 3D TV that comes with glasses which are 3D. They are "passive". After attempting two (2) 3D rips, I ended up with the screen split in two; vertically and then split horizontally. I've tried the 3DTV PassivePolarized and the 3DTV PassivePolarized (audiocopy)..still no luck. How do I check the source video to decide which one I need?

Also, when it comes to the Red/Cyan anaglyph, which one would be better, monochrome (guessing not), half-colour or full colour?

This is all very new to me and having difficulties finding reliable sources to guide me.

Assistant would be most gratefully accepted..

The 3d audio copy preserves hd sound.Use the side by side for better resolution than the over and under.Play the side by side video then go into your (3d tv's 3d settings and select side by side 3d) the tv will turn the 2 pictures into 1 picture then put the 3d glasses on and it turns that picture into a 3d picture.Don't use the red/green thats old 3d and stinks compared to todays 3d.
    Last edited by glenns; 01-01-2013, 05:39 PM.

Comment

What kind of glasses are used with side-by-side 3d?

Comment

You use what glasses your tv uses.Mine is active 3d glasses for my Samsung plasma 3d tv.You said you use passive glasses so thats what you use with your tv.Look up and see if your tv does side by side my tv does side by side ,over and under,full 3d and simulated 3d.A button on the remote switches the tv between them.

Comment

different opinion

The first poster to respond here is correct about how to use the 3d on your television. But, I have to disagree with the comment about side by side (sbs) format is better for passive 3D TV. I have ripped all of my 3d blu rays to the sbs format and then to the over/under format to test for best quality. The over/under is by far the best quality for passive 3d! The math will tell you the same thing. A Passive 3d tv will always cut the vertical resolution in half (1920 x 540). This is how the two images are displayed interlaced to each eye to create the 3d illusion. This means if you rip your 3d blu rays to side by side (sbs) format, you are cutting the resolution both vertically and horizontally (960 x 540). The passive tv will cut vertical resolution and you have cut the horizontal resolution using sbs format. If you use the over/under format the horizontal resolution is never cut. You are doing less "damage" to the original resolution of the source.

If you had an active 3d tv none of this would matter. But for passive 3d, the over under format is by far the superior format if you can't play the movie straight from the 3d blu-ray it self.

Comment

Well then i stand corrected i know that my Active tv displays over and under 3d with greater loss of resolution than side by side i was unaware of the way a passive tv displays over and under.Movie theater's also use passive glasses so if a movie theater is using a 2k projector what resolution does it display 3d movies at?

Comment

Originally posted by apazrjon View Post
              The first poster to respond here is correct about how to use the 3d on your television. But, I have to disagree with the comment about side by side (sbs) format is better for passive 3D TV. I have ripped all of my 3d blu rays to the sbs format and then to the over/under format to test for best quality. The over/under is by far the best quality for passive 3d! The math will tell you the same thing. A Passive 3d tv will always cut the vertical resolution in half (1920 x 540). This is how the two images are displayed interlaced to each eye to create the 3d illusion. This means if you rip your 3d blu rays to side by side (sbs) format, you are cutting the resolution both vertically and horizontally (960 x 540). The passive tv will cut vertical resolution and you have cut the horizontal resolution using sbs format. If you use the over/under format the horizontal resolution is never cut. You are doing less "damage" to the original resolution of the source.

If you had an active 3d tv none of this would matter. But for passive 3d, the over under format is by far the superior format if you can't play the movie straight from the 3d blu-ray it self.
              I am ripping a 3d movies into an .MP4, which in DVDfab would I use? MP4 3D which gives you SBS, MP4 3D Passive, which gives you O/U?

Comment

Working...
              X