Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MT2S vs MKV: which is better for ultimate 3D quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MT2S vs MKV: which is better for ultimate 3D quality?

I've been wondering this because, although everywhere I see, 3D files are in MKV, it is MT2S that blu-rays use to play in 3D, not MKV. This makes me wonder, "should I be ripping into MT2S audiocopy 3D instead of MKV audiocopy 3D (assuming both rips are maximized at 30,000kb/sec bitrate). I'm looking for ultimate quality--no reduction whatsoever. Which would be better for that?

MT2S and MKV are containers only and therefore no difference in quality. It depends on what is contained in the containers.

I personally prefer MKV as it has more flexibility and 3rd party free tools available that MT2S.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Ah, well I never knew that. Thank you for that information. Regardless, I just decided that I'm going to stick with ISOs from now on at least for 3D Blu-Ray anyway since there's no chance of reduction of quality. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
        I personally prefer MKV as it has more flexibility and 3rd party free tools available that MT2S.
        Agreed.

Comment

I do note that M2TS will in many cases (Depending on the Audio stream and your Audio setup) not require special Codecs. It is natively supported by Windows 7 and 8. Still, MKV's are much more flexible.

I just batch converted all my MKV's to MP4 (MP4 Can now handle high quality Audio streams) and it is more compatible with Windows. I like to use the "Play To" feature quite a bit and the MKV's just do not play nice with that. I basically get on my Surface tablet or laptop, select the movie and select Play to.. It then goes directly to my SamSung TV and uses it's building player. Works great with 3D also. The Audio goes from my SamSung TV over the ARC channel (HDMI) to my Amp.

Comment

Working...
          X