quality control and data storage concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) quality control and data storage concerns

With ripping a movie down to 5GB, am I going to have a noticeable down grade in quality opposed to just a straight 1:1 rip?

Modern data storage technology isn't up to par with our ability to render huge amounts of pixels so you can't build a media center capable of hosting any decent amount of movies without stripping the quality down to hell and back.

The only way to even make half my movie collection fit in a 6 GB NAS server is to strip all the movies down to sub 5 GB a movie, which is a fraction of their original size.

This is going to take a lot of time, and I want to know if its even worth it.

Seems to me you are going to have to answer that. Try one and see if you can live with it.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

You have made some false assumptions here.

The codecs use by Fab (eg H264) are far more efficient that the codecs that the sources are encoded with. eg: the MPEG2 DVD codec was originall developed decades ago. The newer codecs mantain the same quality at a lower bitrate = smaller file size.

My DVD collection is roughly a quarter of the source file size while maintaing great quality.

On Blu-Rays, I have found that there can be a wide range. I have good rips of 4Gb and crappy rips of 15Gb. This is generally caused by the source having a lot of fast motion and the real killer can be film grain in the source/ Again though, I would average a 4 times saving in space.

As my good friend Niner pointed out, there really though be one subjective judge and that is YOU!!

Do some trials yourself and see what you are happy with. All it costs is a little time and it is time well invested.

Unfortunately there is no "ONE SIZE FITS ALL" answer...

Originally posted by nmrecording View Post
      With ripping a movie down to 5GB, am I going to have a noticeable down grade in quality opposed to just a straight 1:1 rip?

Modern data storage technology isn't up to par with our ability to render huge amounts of pixels so you can't build a media center capable of hosting any decent amount of movies without stripping the quality down to hell and back.

The only way to even make half my movie collection fit in a 6 GB NAS server is to strip all the movies down to sub 5 GB a movie, which is a fraction of their original size.

This is going to take a lot of time, and I want to know if its even worth it.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
      X