No announcement yet.

Ripped files larger in version 9?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Ripped files larger in version 9?

I installed version 9.0.1.6 along side version 8.1.6.8 that I've been using for several months now. I began ripping some new DVD's for my media center in the same format as I used in the previous version (mkv.h264.audiocopy). After ripping, I noticed the file size was a little larger than what I normally would see by about 150MB's for a movie that was about 2 hours long. So, to experiment I picked out a 49 minute DVD movie and ripped it using both versions. I checked all conversion settings to insure they were exactly the same (fixed bit rate of 1047kbps, framerate at 23.976fps, etc.). After ripping, I compared the file sizes:

Ver9.0.1.6 - 600,287kb
    Ver8.1.6.8 - 531,096kb

The difference of approximately 70MB's confirmed what I'd seen with the longer movie. Both files play just fine, and I can't tell any difference watching them. So, I'm wondering what has changed? I've downloaded beta version 9.0.1.8 today, and will give it a shot to see if there's any difference, but in the mean time I was wondering if anyone had noticed similar results. I know in this day of mass storage, an extra 150MB or so per movie isn't the end of the world, but if you have a lot of movies, it can add up.
Working...
X