Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Having some newb problems

Hey,

I was given DVDfab as a gift. I moved to Europe from the US five years ago and was forced to leave my large DVD collection in the States. I am back in the US now on a visit and have a large External Hard drive. My goal is to rip all or as many of my DVD's as I can onto my External Hard drive so I can have them in Europe.

I am running DVDfab 9 on Windows 7.

I am using the DVD ripper.

Now one of the problems I am having seems to be a common one from looking at the forums. However, I have tried all the solutions that I have seen posted as have so far had no luck. I am trying to rip my DVD's into MP4 format. The video rips fine but then I have no sound. I have tried several different settings.

I have tried every single bit rate for the audio and there is no change now sound. I do get sound if I rip the DVD to format iPad.mp4 but the quality doesn't seem to be as good. It also rips perfectly fine to mkv.h264.ac3 but again the quality of the video doesn't appear to be as good as the MP4 video but at least the audio does work.

Any idea's?

Also since i have installed DVDfab, whenever I put a DVD into my drive, DVDfab instantly opens...which I don't really like. How do I stop that? Also, since installing DVDfab, SOME of my DVD's will not play on my labtop. I can hear the audio but the pictures are very distorted and I can't see them. This started happening the same time when I installed DVD fab. I find it odd that other DVd's do play fine however.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To solve the Fab program auto starting every time you put a dvd in go to common settings the the second choice down click on General then the 4th choice down in General uncheck add auto play handler.

You can download from the main fab page version 8085 of fab and see if this will work for you.This is a older version that works well and will install in a separate folder so you can have it and the latest version on your computer at the same time.The copy protection is outdated in version 8085 so you can rip each dvd to your computers hard drive then use version 8085 to do the conversion and see if this helps.Also you can reinstall fab so see if that helps.

Comment

New information

Hello,

I have been continuing to read the forums and am amazed that this is such a common problem.

Anyway, someone said in a different topic that an upgrade solved my problem. I didn't know there was an upgrade but I checked and downloaded the upgrade so I now have version 9.0.1.6. I now see there is yet another upgrade which I can't download at the moment because I have limited downloads on my internet I am using so I'll have to wait until I can go to a hot spot.

If an upgrade solves this problem, which version fixes this problem? This is getting annoying. I am considering going back to version 8 like was recommended above if I can't get this fixed.

Comment

Ok, another update. After reading another topic, I decided to try a different player. I was trying to play the MP4 in WMP. Instead this time I played the MP4 in VLC Media Player and I have SOUND! So this appears to be a codec issue. Any idea which codec I need to download in order to play the MP4 in WMP?

Comment

Hi Ohoopee
          My suggestion would be to stay away from code packs, as sometimes they cause more problems than their worth.

Just stick with VLC or even DVD Fab's media player found here http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=20004 which will have a few limitations if using the free version or MPC found here http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps
          CBR929
          Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
            Hi Ohoopee
            My suggestion would be to stay away from code packs, as sometimes they cause more problems than their worth.

Just stick with VLC or even DVD Fab's media player found here http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=20004 which will have a few limitations if using the free version or MPC found here http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps
            CBR929
            Thanks, I'll look into that. Now that I have gotten the sound to work, I am having some quality problems.

Some DVD's look pretty good. They all appear to have what I am calling "back ground static" Some are worse than others. It is really noticeable when I am watching a movie seen that is very dark and then as only one small light source. The fading of the light into the dark looks very pixelated.

As far as ripping, I am trying to use the High Quality Encoding "2 pass". I also have the video quality set on "High Quality". So since these setting seem to not be good enough, I have tried to push the setting up past the High Quality setting. I have tried putting the bits/pixel meter all the way up and at different levels past the high quality mark. However when I do this I always get an error as soon as it starts the second pass. Any ideas on how to solve this?

Comment

Working...
            X