Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does BD Ripper screw up forced subtitle informations ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Does BD Ripper screw up forced subtitle informations ?

Hi all,

I am very pleased with BD Ripper so far. When creating a copy of Avatar (Extended Edition) for my HTPC I noticed that somehow the forced subs for German have been screwed up. I usually rip the full BD video plus german and english audio tracks (full DTS-HD if available). I also add german and english subtitles as well. For most movies I do not care too much about subtitles but for movies like Avatar which do not have "hardcoded" subtiltes for foreign languages inside the video stream a correct extraction of forced subtitle informations if essential. Especially for Avatar where they speak "Na'Vi" those forced subtitles are important for the plot of the movie.

Somehow BD Ripper "screwed up" the force subtitle flag for German.

My version of Avatar only shows one subtitle stream per German and English. I selected them both without the "forced subtitle only" flag inside BD Ripper. When I play back the copy with VLC and have the forced subtitles only flag enabled, only the English subtitle track works. For the German subtitle track it does not work.

When I open up the Vobsub files generated by BDRipper with SubResync (Part of the VobSub package) I can clearly see that the relevant parts of the English subtitle stream show the forced sub flag while it is missing inside the German subtitle stream.

When I open up the Avatar BD with MakeMKV, I can clearly see that a forced subtitle stream is part of both English and German. When I do a similar dump of the Avatar BD to full MKV with MakeMKV where only the forced subs for English and German are part of the movie, they work perfectly in VLC.

So what is happening with the forced Subtitle information of my German track when I process it with BD Ripper ?

I am / was using the latest beta of DVD Fab (9.018) for ripping.

TIA,
    D$

Albeit apparently flagged properly as forced, there seems to be something off with the Avatar subs. Watching them on my WDTV makes the colors look different than to what VLC shows for example.

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
    MultiShrink
    : DVD Shrink batch processing
    Offizieller Ãœbersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch

Comment

Thanks for your reply ! Possibly they are "strange" but MakeMKV extracted the "forced only" subtitles for German just fine. I crosschecked them with the SRT file which i grabbed from one of those subtitle files.

Comment

Working...
      X