Cinavia in 3D Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cinavia in 3D Blu-ray

I'm new to 3D and I'm wondering if Cinavia is used in 3D Blu-ray discs? I haven't seen any discussion about it and I don't see any reference to it in Fab 3D Ripper. I know it's in regular Blu-ray. I have a new Oppo BDP-103 and the manual says it has Cinavia detection.

Yes fox titles have it Pirates band of misfit's,Promethues,Priest are a few i remember so if you backup these your player will mute the sound after playing 20 mins.Their are players that don't have this look http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=18234 for the discusion on them or buy a 3d media player and don't worry about cinavia.
    Last edited by glenns; 01-11-2013, 05:38 PM.

Comment

I have only purchased two 3D discs so far, but because they are so expensive I want to make a backup to a USB hard drive. One of them is Prometheus which you list as having Cinavia. I used 3D Ripper to make both MKV and M2ts files of the main movie. When playing the file through the Oppo BDP-103 USB and Movie Player, it stopped at 22 minutes in both files. I restarted the move, fast forwarded to the 20 min. mark and it played for another 10 min. and stopped again. I am assuming this is because of Cinavia(?). I installed xbmc on my HTPC and it played the complete movie from M2ts with no problem. The other 3D movie I have is Avatar, which I have not tried to back up yet, which is 20th Cent. Fox. I haven't seen it on the Cinavia list, so I think it must be Cinavia free.

Comment

Originally posted by umdad06 View Post
        I have only purchased two 3D discs so far, but because they are so expensive I want to make a backup to a USB hard drive. One of them is Prometheus which you list as having Cinavia. I used 3D Ripper to make both MKV and M2ts files of the main movie. When playing the file through the Oppo BDP-103 USB and Movie Player, it stopped at 22 minutes in both files. I restarted the move, fast forwarded to the 20 min. mark and it played for another 10 min. and stopped again. I am assuming this is because of Cinavia(?). I installed xbmc on my HTPC and it played the complete movie from M2ts with no problem. The other 3D movie I have is Avatar, which I have not tried to back up yet, which is 20th Cent. Fox. I haven't seen it on the Cinavia list, so I think it must be Cinavia free.
        I play all my 3d movies using Plex Server on my PC, then use my wireless connection to play on my 3d tv, never seen any Cinavia while playing from PC...

Comment

Originally posted by umdad06 View Post
          Unfortunatley Oppo was required to implement Cinavia. It's too bad, I didn't buy the Oppo for it's media player abilities knowing Cinavia was on it but after playing around with it just to see what it can do it really is too bad. As most titles I have don't have cinavia I found the Oppo to be perhaps even better than the Dune (which is already flawless for BDMV/ISO streaming over SMB) for streaming blu-ray rips - the Oppo is faster at loading particularly if you retain the full disc.

Unfortunatley, if you want to playback 3D blu-rays in an ISO/BDMV structure flawlessly your kind of stuck with an HTPC. Otherwise, for 2D blu-ray streaming from a network or attached drive the PCH-200/300 players or any previous generation Dune player (e.g. Smart D1) will do the trick. For 3D at this point there is no real media player solution I know of as all of them only support bd-lite (including the new 3D Dunes and PCH players). The answer will be when they start to support MVC in an MKV so you can just drop the blu-ray MVC file into an MKV container (there may be one player capable of this right now but I recall it didn't support forced subtitles).

To sum it up, for the time-being enjoy your HTPC for streaming and use your Oppo for original discs (a task it does better than virtually any player at any price).

For me it seems only a couple of my 3D discs have cinavia so I've ripped them to 3D SBS MKVs and play them back on my Dune HD Max along with all my 2D blu-ray BDMV's and ISOs from my server over SMB protocol. I then use my Oppo to playback full disc BDMV folders from my server over SMB protocol (to date I've been unable to creat a movie-only BDMV folder that will play in 3D on the Oppo). Although with the Oppo I miss the movie jukebox I have on my Dune I don't have enough 3D titles to care at this point.

Comment

Working...
          X