DVDFab 9 - Ripping multiple DVDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper DVDFab 9 - Ripping multiple DVDs

At this time i am using DVDFab 8 to rip my DVD collection to m2ts-files that are hosted on my mediaserver. With DVDFab 8 i had some problems figuring out what encoding is needed, what audiostream, which options to set so that the resulting file will fit my needs. But i manged to do it and now i can setup DVDFab with three DVDs in my drives, letting it know what tracks to extract, how to name the files and then let it do its work.

Then i tried DVDFab 9. It looks good in its new shape, but it is very un-obvious how to make things work. Maybe there are also some Bugs in it that keep me from getting the results i want.

What i do:
    - place three DVDs in the three drives of my PC
    - start DVDFab 9
    - DVDFab 9 reads the drives and fills a list for every drive
    - in the lists the longest track is marked

then the problems start:
    when i select a line the columns audio and subpicture change to comboboxes that display the first available option. since i always want to have german audio and only forced german subpictures the display is very confusing. When i open the combobox i can see the correct choices.

With the button Edit above the list, i get the window "video effect". this is also a little confusing. i am also not sure, if this video effect applies to all entries in the current list or only to the selected entry.

Then i want to give a filename for every item i want to rip, so that i know, what i ripped. A name like "DVD2.title1" is not very useful when it comes to search for a video. After looking around i found the button "Advanved Settings" below the list next to the Profile-Combobox.

I asked myself: are this the advanced settings for the profile? and i was surprised to find the option to change the filename there. so i think this should have nothing to do with the profile itself. It looks like this are the settings for the selected entry in the list or for all entries in the list. It is also not very clear to me.

But i typed in my titles anyway, did this for the 3 DVDs in my drives, checked all the fields again to see if they are still set and then pressed "Start".

It started, ripped the first DVD and when it wanted to start the second, it asked me, if i want to overwrite the file DVDVOLUME.Title2.m2ts. I lookad in my output directory and found that file there. It seems as if DVDFab 9 ignores, what i told it to use for the filename and uses its own logic, that is always wrong since the DVD-factorys don't use meaningful names for the tracks.

So this is my second experience with DVDFab 9 and i hope it will get better and more useful. Until i can really use it and know what happens, when i use a certain option, i will stay with DVDFab 8.

It would be great if the programmers would make the handling more obvious to the user. For example a rightclick menu in the tracklist would be a really useful tool to access the things that are related to the track.
Working...
X