This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Divx Codec misread?

When I view the codec info from a movie i DVD to Mobile, it said DX50.
    Doesn't than mean Divx 5?
    Im using the newest divx pro codec package. Is this normal or am i doing something wrong?

Sorry if this is a basic question, but just now noticed that.

Can someone please confirm?
    Thanks!

Fab does not use externally installed codecs, so it won't use your installed DivX package.

When Fab encodes to a DivX profile, I am pretty sure that it uses a DivX 5 compatible schema for maximum compatabilty with hardware devices that are out there.

I never use DivX, I generally prefer XVid.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Do you know if there is plans for dvdfab to give you the option to choose which codec to use? Internal or External.
      Id have to imagine 6.8.5 version of the codec vs 5 standard has to be way better.

Seems odd.

I understand compatibility on all divx certified players, but seems like its not keeping up with the times either.

Comment

To be quite honest, I regard DivX as a POS as the open source XVid gives far better results as far as quality an compatibility goes.

On the subject of using external codecs, we do not know the developers thoughts on this, but I would think that it will not happen.

So "Don't hold your breath waiting"

It is not odd. Using external codecs would open up a whole can of worms for the developers as one woulld never know whether any problems were cause by Fab or the external codec.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

So in your opinion within DVDFAB, assume you rip the same settings of profile, but the only difference is divx and XVID, the xvid would be better?
          Xvid doesnt work in divx players though right?

Comment

That most certainly is my opinion and XVid will play in most DivX players.

Try it !!!

Comment

ok last few questions for ya.
              thanks by the way...

Since DVDFAB is using internal codecs, if i choose xvid is it using a much newer codec than the divx 5 i just realized its doing? You know since XVID is open source and all.

Im the kind of person that likes to think newer revision of software is always better.

Am I correct to say there is not very many MP4, MKV/h264 players out there?
              This format is mainly used for best PC media center viewing, right?

I guess reason why i have always been using DIVX, is cause i have a divx car stero and 2 or 3 divx compatibile dvd players in my house. I didn't realize XVID would be compatible.

What do you do when it comes to other devices kinda like what im talking about?
              thanks!

Comment

Well, I'm the other way. I subscribe to the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory but there is really no way to tell what version of XVid that the developers use.

There are literally hundreds of Media Players out there that will play MP4/MKV files. My business is actually importing and retail media players and I have been involved in player development for about the last 8 years.

Netgear, Western Digital, Linksys and D-Link all have models available and there are stacks available from China. www.measy.com.cn and www.midte.com are just a couple of examples. Just have a look on eBay to see how pervasive these devices are becoming.

I have used the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy profile for all the above media players for a long time with great success.

Originally posted by bernard500 View Post
                Im the kind of person that likes to think newer revision of software is always better.

Am I correct to say there is not very many MP4, MKV/h264 players out there?
                This format is mainly used for best PC media center viewing, right?

Comment

You like Xvid over MKV/H264 and all the others?
                  Reason being is best quality/best compaitibility for your time and effort or?

Comment

Yes............

Comment

Working...
                    X