X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD to WMV help please

Hi,

I have been using DVDFab for about a week and have read all the tutorials, stickies, and a lot of posts, but I can't seem to find an answer to my newbie question.

Which WMV profile and settings are best to use for converting DVD files (already ripped to my hard drive) to WMV files that I intend to watch using Windows Media Player 11 in full screen mode, on my laptop? Should I use the Zune settings, the Xbox360 settings, or should I modify one of those profiles to make it more optimal for viewing using WMP11 on a laptop? I want to use WMV format for the small file size....unless there is another format that produces files of similar size and comparable quality.

Sorry if this is a dumb question; I really did try to figure it out myself, but I am new to all of this.

Thanks for your help.

There is a known problem with WMV encodes that the developers are currently working on.

I would suggest that you use the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy profile with around 1100 bitrate and selecting a resolution the same as the DVD.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thank you very much....I noticed that the projected time for encoding the WMV files, when I tried it, said over 5 hours. I guess that is due to the issue you mentioned. I will try the generic.xvid.audiocopy profile with the settings you suggest.

Thanks again for your answer and for all the helpful tips and guides.

Comment

You may have to install ffdshow on your computer if this profile does not play straight up in WMP. Just google it and download and install.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Give the PSP format a try and it in a small file but if watched full screen on laptop using WMP the picture is pretty good

Comment

Thank you, AGJ, I will experiment with that.

Thanks again GregiBoy, I did need to download ffdshow in order to get the sound to work, but it is working now.

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
              There is a known problem with WMV encodes that the developers are currently working on.

I would suggest that you use the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy profile with around 1100 bitrate and selecting a resolution the same as the DVD.
              Don't forget 2-pass
              I'm a PC and I play Poker

Comment

I am using mp4 and playing that in WMP. I do open file and select *.*. It gives me a warning that it may not support it but it does play. I use 704 x XXX. Set cropping to off and and 1100kbps encoding. Set English for subpicture, set display forced subpicture and direct render to video in the profile. I set quality to high. For my HTC TP2 phone I also use mp4 for WMP but I use 400 x XXX for the size and set fill screen.

Comment

Working...
                X