DVDfab DVD / Blu-Ray Ripper and Subtitles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) DVDfab DVD / Blu-Ray Ripper and Subtitles

Is it possible to rip a DVD or BD with subtitles, but be able to turn on / off the subtitles from the DVD player?

I've done a couple rips with subtitles, but they are always embedded and you cannot turn them on / off.

Am I missing something basic here. All the threads I've read deal with ripping with subtitles and everyone seems ok to have the subtitles always on, if I'm reading them correctly.
    BoomerangThree

What are you using to play the files?
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Apple TV and Mac
      BoomerangThree

Comment

Well, both of those devices are pretty brain-dead as far as subtitles are concerned.

Support for "SOFT" subtitles (switchable) in the m4v & mp4 streams is limited or even non-existent, hence Fab burns them into the video.

I think your only option is to download and use VLC or Fab Media Player on your MAC and jailbreak your ATV and install and use XBMC.

Maybe someone else has other suggestions but the last time I got involved with iCrap, this was the case and I have purposely steered clear because of the onerous restrictions.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I'll give you someone else's thoughts on it!

"MP4 is handled by committees that get together and figure out the standards that will be used with the container. So, while independent developers might shoehorn VOBSUBs, or PGS or DTS or whatever, into an MP4 container, if it isn't supported by the standard, the playback providers don't have to support or allow those files to be played on their systems.

Now if Apple supported the Matroska container in iTunes, everything would be so much easier! But since they can't sit on the Matroska standards board, and can't control it, it's not going to happen."

Comment

Thanks for the education and support. Hopefully some other ideas will come along and I'll look into jail breaking the Apple TV.
            BoomerangThree

Comment

So as a test, it looks like I can rip a DVD with subtitles turned on and possibly in VLC I could turn them on / off?
              BoomerangThree

Comment

Yeah, as a test use MKV.h264.audiocopy with Sub/Idx, not burnt-in and play the file with VLC.

Comment

Gregiboy is right, I do it all the time, h264 autocopy MKV and watch on VLC and you can turn sub's on or off, if you have the sub in the MKV!

But, then they go to my media player!

Comment

Working...
                  X