Blu Ray Ripper 720p and 1080i for Apple TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Blu Ray Ripper 720p and 1080i for Apple TV

So here is what I'm try to accomplish and need some help.

I have a Pioneer that does 1080i. I have my Apple TV 3 hooked up to it and I've ripped some BD titles to play through it. I've tried various such as 1080.mp4 at 1920x800 but when it plays back through the Pioneer it's letter boxed and at 720p. When I view the resolution of the TV, it's at 720p when playing back.

So, I'm wondering if I can get a high enough resolution to fill the entire screen, at 1080i and why can't I get it at the 1920x800 resolution. Is it because 1080 is really 1920 × 1080?

Thanks for the patience and education.
    BoomerangThree

The iCrap 3 is only compatible with TV's that are progressive, ie: 1080p/720p and it looks like it's defaulting to the lower.

Honest advice, get rid of it and get a PROPER media player without all the restrictions.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Ok, got it thanks to your response GregiBoy and the link. Thanks for teaching me how to fish. So, guess it's time to bump up to the 1080p TV. Been looking but wanted to go through this process 1st. Really appreciate the help!

I hear ya on the proper media player, but I've been wanting to upgrade to a 70inch LED TV. I have the Pioneer 60inch Plasma which still looks great after 5 years, but been looking for a reason to move it to another room and get a LED.

Anyway, thanks again and have a great weekend!
      Last edited by BoomerangThree; 02-02-2013, 04:42 AM.
      BoomerangThree

Comment

Another question on resolution. I have a TV does only goes up to 1080i. Why do some DVD and Blu Ray movies that are being displayed in 1080i still are letter boxed and don't fill up the screen? For instance The Possession?

Thanks everyone for educating me.
        BoomerangThree

Comment

Originally posted by BoomerangThree View Post
          Another question on resolution. I have a TV does only goes up to 1080i. Why do some DVD and Blu Ray movies that are being displayed in 1080i still are letter boxed and don't fill up the screen? For instance The Possession?

Thanks everyone for educating me.
          To understand letterboxing, we have to talk about aspect ratio. HDTVs are 16x9, or 1.78:1. Slightly wider than they are tall, they're pleasantly rectangular. Old-fashioned tube TVs were 4x3, or 1.33:1, so closer to square.

The problem is, 1.78:1 doesn't correspond to any film aspect ratio. In fact, there is no standard film aspect ratio. Modern movies generally range from 1.85:1 (slightly wider than HDTV) to 2.39:1 (way wider than HDTV).
          The 21:9 you mention only refers to one thing: the aspect ratio of the Vizio ultra-wide-screen HDTV (or the similar Philips model that wasn't sold in the U.S.). This is 2.37:1, which while not matching any exact film ratio falls right in between the 2:35:1 of older (pre-1970) films and the newer 2.39:1 ratio (also called 2.4:1 on Blu-ray).

Your question gets a largely semantic answer. The resolution on the Blu-ray disc is "1080p" in that it has 1,920x1,080 pixels. However, the top and bottom letterbox bars are just black pixels. A modern 2.4:1 movie, then, has an active picture area of 1,920x800.
          BoomerangThree

Comment

Good research mate
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
            X