Jerky Video Playback and Noisy Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Jerky Video Playback and Noisy Audio

I have been experimenting with the DVD Ripper (version 8.2.2.7) component of DVDFab. I have tried to create an mp4 of a film for use on the PS3 and also Google Nexus 7. The mp4 that is output has jerky movement when played in Windows Media Player or VLC. I have also noted that the audio has background white noise.

I have tried many different things to see if I can rectify the problem. I have tried different H264 encoding options such as different framerates, bitrates, video size , not including subpicture etc but I couldn't stop the jerky playback. Only way I could fix the audio problem was to not use AAC 5.1 but try something else such as AC3.

I then tried creating my own MP4 profiles but that didn't seem to make a difference. I did try other containers however, M2TS and MKV both with H264 and AAC encodings, and these did not suffer from the issues I saw when using an MP4 container.

So I have a solution which is to use the M2TS container but would be nice to know why and how to fix the MP4 container problem I am experiencing.

Any suggestions ?

Hi,

Please try the Fab9 9026 and see the result.

Wilson
    Please post your logs the default location is:
    For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
    For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
    If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Wilson, many thanks for the suggestion. I tried 9026, but the results were the same.
      I forgot to mention that I am transcoding a PAL 25fps film if that makes a difference. In this test I used CUDA support, embedded the subtitles (film was The Mummy Tomb of the Dragon Emperor). Quality was low.

The audio problem still exists, there is a buzzing noise in the background as the volume of the audio increases. I have tried this on 2 devices as it could have been speaker issues but the results were the same, implying the audio stream has some sort of problem.

Anything else I could try ?

Thx
      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveK View Post
        Hi Wilson, many thanks for the suggestion. I tried 9026, but the results were the same.
        I forgot to mention that I am transcoding a PAL 25fps film if that makes a difference. In this test I used CUDA support, embedded the subtitles (film was The Mummy Tomb of the Dragon Emperor). Quality was low.

The audio problem still exists, there is a buzzing noise in the background as the volume of the audio increases. I have tried this on 2 devices as it could have been speaker issues but the results were the same, implying the audio stream has some sort of problem.

Anything else I could try ?

Thx
        Dave
        Hi,

For the video quality, you could change the bit rate setting in the profile setting page.
        For the noise audio issue, I have no idea now, please wait some time to fix it. Sorry for this to trouble you!

And I did not reproduce the Jerky Video issue which you said. I tried in 9026.

Wilson
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Wilson, I went back to 8227 and found that if I select 2 pass encoding, then the problem as far as I can tell goes away or is so minimal that I can't see it. On 2 pass encoding the fps shows as 25 in VLC

If I go back to one pass encoding, then the problem is more noticeable and in VLC the fps shows as 24.98. Could this be a factor ?

I will try again on 9026 as well to see if the I get similar results

Many thanks
          Dave

Comment

Hi,

Please check the video details info by Mediainfo, it's a free tool. http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Wilson

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Wilson, I have been able to isolate a small part of the DVD rip that highlights the jerky movement when transcoded by DVD Ripper. The movement is smooth (In my opinion) when watching the DVD on VLC. I have transcoded it to a PS3 format using another tool and the movement remains smooth.

No matter which transcoder I select (I have tried xvid, xbox, ps3, generic mp4) and played with the options such as crop, number of passes, deinterlace, quality I have not been able replicate the smoothness in dvd ripper. I have tried on 2 different machines one which uses CUDA, another which uses Intel Quick Sync, but other options must have used the software encoder.

I have tried changing the software decoder from software to DVXA as well and that didn't solve the problem.

It is only a slight annoyance of course, maybe it will get better in the future.

But thanks for your help anyway
              Dave

Comment

Hi, DaveK

Please disable all GPU just use Software as decoder & encoder and have a try.
                If still reproduce please post your log file.

Wilson
                Attached Files

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Wilson, sorry for not getting back sooner. I missed your reply. I tried disabling the GPUs but it didn't make a difference. I was surprised at how fast it encoded the clip (frame rate hit over 140 fps while doing it).

I have attached the log, I hope it helps.

Many thanks
                  Dave
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi, Davek

I noticed that you are still used the V8, please download the latest V9028 and have a try.

And use Software as decoder & encoder.

Wilson

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Wilson, many thanks for the reply. I downloaded 9028 to try and changed it to only use s/w for encoding/decoding. The result still shows jerky movement on my test clip.
                      I have attached the log here.

Best regards
                      Dave
                      Attached Files

Comment

(this applies to 8.2.2.7, I will start looking at newer versions once the PSP profile in version 9 has been addressed as PSP is another important platform for me)
                        I have now come up with a combination that solves my jerky video issue when converting DVDs to H264 formats. It may help to locate where problems lie in the conversion process. These are PAL DVD rips so are a 25fps framerate.

1. use the DXVA Decoder for MPEG2
                        2. use either generic MP4 or M2TS formats for output.

You need both of these to address the problem, however you still cannot use the PS3 output format this results in Jerky video.

So the potential issues could be
                        1. Decoding introduces a problem if not DXVA
                        2. the PS3 profile introduces issues (maybe it ignores the fps selection ?)

Hope this helps to track down this issue (if it still remains in newer releases of course).

Comment

Working...
                        X