No announcement yet.

BD Ripper Apple TV: Now with sound but not multichannel Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) BD Ripper Apple TV: Now with sound but not multichannel Part 2

Hello DVDFab Team,

Can you please give me an information if you still working on a solution for the multichannel problem with the appleTV3 profile (stereo/dolby digital).

Thank you very much.

vschoell

Hi,

Output stereo/dolby digital audio for you when converting to ATV3 profile?

It's not so clearly that you said, and I've tried and check the output video by MediaInfo, output 6 channels. Used Fab v9031.
    Please give us more information.

Thanks!

Wilson
    Please post your logs the default location is:
    For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
    For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
    If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi.... we are all looking for the same functionality that Handbrake has.....

That is the ability to put the prologic audio stream as stream 1 and the ORIGINAL AC3/DTS/etc. stream as stream 2 for Apple TV.

I still cannot use the DVDFab I paid for many years ago unless I want to settle for crappy surround sound with my movies when watching on Apple TV.

Just download a copy of handbrake and use the appleTV 2 or 3 profile. Convert and take a look at the file. It should give all the info you need to replicate this.

I BEG YOU ..... please add this feature.

Comment

The output profile for ATV should look similar to this.
        See attached.

If you are using ATV1-2 the output level should be 4.0 I think.
        ATV3 supports level 4.1.
        Attached Files

Comment

kind of a pain

Originally posted by Wilson.Wang View Post
          Hi,

Output stereo/dolby digital audio for you when converting to ATV3 profile?

It's not so clearly that you said, and I've tried and check the output video by MediaInfo, output 6 channels. Used Fab v9031.
          Please give us more information.

Thanks!

Wilson
          I'm using 9.0.3.8 and have been experiencing the following when trying to use the aTV3 profile. This has been an ongoing test for me over the last week with multiple Blu-Rays.

1) When using the default aTV3 profile settings (include additional stereo track is checked), the resulting file plays fine on iPAD and on my aTV device but audio is not output in 5.1, instead it is in stereo. The file will not play at all within iTunes. It freezes on the first frame.

2) Removed the 'Add Additional Stereo Track' option, and the resulting file plays fine on the aTV device in full 5.1 (this should rule out my audio receiver as the issue). It will not play at all within iTunes, same as described above. It plays with no audio on iPAD..but this would be expected since iPAD does not support 5.1 audio.

3) I changed all my decoding and encoding options to software only (I was using Cuda). Using the default aTV3 profile the resulting file now plays on all devices. But again on the aTV device the audio output is never multi-channel, stereo only. Plus the time requirement to do the rip more than tripled - not acceptable in my book.

4) Yes the iPAD3.1080P preset plays on all devices...but again audio is 2 channel. If I'm streaming to my aTV hooked up to my awesome home theater sound system I want my multi-channel audio.

5) I almost gave up, tried Handbrake (super-slow) and PavTube (reasonable speed, audio was perfect, vid qual was horrible). So I need a DVDFab solution.

I found a work-around. Not perfect, but it gets the job done. Do one rip using the aTV profile with the 'Add Additional Stereo Track' unchecked. Tag this rip with something like 'Multi-Channel' in the file name. Do another rip using the iPAD.1080p profile and tag it as 'Stereo' in the file name. You can even use the aTV profile and just set the audio to ProLogic or Stereo. Use MetaX and the links below to do some magic with tagging for iTunes and the 2 files appear as one in your iTunes library and the file plays on all devices with the properly supported audio. Of course the downside to this is I've doubled my storage usage on my PC for a single movie...and DVDFab has a profile that seems to be set to only add the additionally needed stereo track. Plus the new task queue in Version 9 isn't quite as robust as it was in 8 and makes doing multiple format rips of the same title pretty clumsy.

Anyway here are the links I used to do what I did. But I'm still waiting on a new and improved aTV profile from the DVDFab team to make this easier.

MetaX:
          Mac/Windows: If you're not too keen on buying movies from the iTunes Store but would like to organize your Movies in a program like iTunes, MetaX will

How to Tag for multiple versions of the same movie file in iTunes:

Comment

Hi Dogstar49!

This might seem as a stupid question but just to be sure!

When you run the video with two audio tracks on your ATV have you tried to choose audio track by pressing an holding the large middle button on the ATV remote?
            You will have new choices showing chapters (if present) and audio.

This should be done when the video to be played has been chosen but before playback.

Comment

@ squitzad

I checked for on some of my test rips...and while I do have options for chapters when I do that, there is no option for audio selection other than speaker selection (AirPlay). When I check one of the movies I've downloaded form the iTunes store, the audio selection is present.

So I'm still at a loss here....

Comment

interesting update

I tried streaming on of my test vids to my PS3 (since it supports the same formats as the aTV3). The files played, but again never output anything but stereo sound. With the PS3 I was able to switch between the audio tracks, and while the PS3 displayed that I was using the 5.1 track my receiver never switched to Dolby decoding.

Both my PS3 and my aTV are connected to my receiver using optical cables.

So my finding is this, regardless of the playback device I've used...if the aTV3 profile has the 'Add Additional Stereo Track' option selected, I only get stereo audio. As I've mentioned before, if this option is un-checked my home theater system outputs full 5.1 every single time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogstar49 View Post
                  @ squitzad

I checked for on some of my test rips...and while I do have options for chapters when I do that, there is no option for audio selection other than speaker selection (AirPlay). When I check one of the movies I've downloaded form the iTunes store, the audio selection is present.

So I'm still at a loss here....
                  Could you post your results from MediaInfo?
                  http://mediaarea.net/download/binary...63_Windows.exe
                  Just to make sure the codecs are ok and the aac stereo first and ac3 5.1 is second.

Comment

There are two audio tracks in the output files. The first is ac3 5.1 and the second is aac 2.0.
                    AppleTV will set the ac3 5.1 as default. If you do not use amplifier,you can change to the aac 2.0 audio by clicking the round button in the remote control for a while.
                    iPad will use the aac 2.0 audio as default.
                    If you connect your AppleTV to TV directly, do remember changing the audio track to aac 2.0.

Comment

Terry.

What you need to do to conform with the Apple specs and prevent device playback problems is have the AAC track as the first default track and the AC3 track as the second track. DTS is NOT allowed.

I have seen many iDevices refuse to play files such as you have described.

With the AAC track first and default, the AAC will be automatically be output to the TV. If a fibre optic connection is present between the ATV and the A/V amp, the raw AC3 stream will be automatically be output on that connection.
                      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I know it. I have tested the output file in iTunes,iPad,AppleTV. All are OK. So please wait for the next release and try it. Thanks.

Comment

And noticing from other posts on the forum, you may need to change your logic also.

1. First track = Must be AAC downmixed from track that must be chosen. Really should be STEREO, not MULTICHANNEL.

If an AC3 5.1 track is present then the user should select that or Fab should default to it.

2. Second track = AC3 Passthrough from track selected in step 1.

If no AC3 track present, Fab should convert track selected to AC3 5.1
                          Last edited by GregiBoy; 05-15-2013, 02:49 AM.
                          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thank's Gregi Boy!

You have made a good summery of the issues.
                            Today (as DVDFab is not optimized yet) I have to first make an .mkv w ac3 rip.
                            Secondly I use a freeware to re-encode to A1. aac and A2. ac3 5.1.
                            This also let's me do some tagging really easily.
                            The tagging is also something I miss but I guess this is not a priority at the moment.

Comment

Thanks mate. No problem.

I hear you about the tagging. I do it all the time to my MKV's so that my library management software can manage the files far easier.

Although, as you may have gathered from my posts on the forum, I am not a big fan of iThingys.

IMHO, any media player that forces you to encode in the above manner, is either deficient in design or designed to attempt to make you purchase their content. Knowing Apple, the latter is my bet.

I far prefer media players that support pretty open playback of all codecs & containers.

Comment

Working...
                              X