Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Details on 9.0.3.1 "mp4's in Quicktime" fix.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Details on 9.0.3.1 "mp4's in Quicktime" fix.

One of the lines in the changelog for 9.0.3.1 Qt beta is

"Fix: A problem that the converted .mp4 and .m4v files cannot be played on iTunes and QuickTime."

Could you possibly give some details on how this problem manifested itself? In other words, exactly what would happen, and in what circumstances would it be a problem? Was it all mp4's, or did it take certain settings to get the problem?

Also, would the mp4's not play in QT at ALL, or would they just play very choppy, or??? I've noticed for a while now that my higher bitrate mp4's play very badly in QT, but I had assumed that QT just had a problem with high bitrate mp4's. Was this a symptom of the problem you fixed?

I ask because I need to know if I should re-rip a bunch of Blu-rays in order to ensure future compatibility across various software players.

Thanks,

Larry

Better try one Larry, I can't tell it fixed much of anything. mp4 still using the main profile instead of the baseline profile, and won't play on many devices. In fact the PSP profile won't play on the PSP?
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
      Better try one Larry, I can't tell it fixed much of anything. mp4 still using the main profile instead of the baseline profile, and won't play on many devices. In fact the PSP profile won't play on the PSP?
      Actually, my complaint is that it sometimes uses the "Main" instead of the "High" profile. I personally wish it would just ALWAYS use the "High" profile in order to give the best quality.

It seems to be selecting the profile automatically, but the pattern to the decision seems rather strange. Upping the bitrate, which would normally imply wanting better quality and therefore the "High" profile, sometimes results in the profile DROPPING to the Main profile. That seems backwards to me.

That aside, I guess I'll try repeating a rip and seeing if the Quicktime player fares any better with the resulting mp4.

Larry

Larry

Comment

How to Specify Baseline

I am also looking for a way to specify the profile to set to BASELINE.
        Is there a way to do that?

Comment

The H264 profile is determined by the H264 encoder AFTER analysis of the source input once the H264 encoder is invoked and can vary from file to file dependant upon many, many factors.

AFAIK, there is very little that transcoders such as Fab (and many others) can do to pre-specify the profile in advance.

Honest advice is to get yourself a playback device that is not so brain dead that it relies on a specific H264 profile.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

the iPod touch profile appears to be Baseline. You might check some of the other Apple MP4 profiles if you need larger resolution.
            How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
            Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
            X