This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New User - would like to have AVI to play on computer and PS3

Sorry for this post but I have been reading all through the other posts looking for the common method for going from a DVD to a file that will play on computers, DVD via usb stick, and PS3 via USB hard drive.

I have followed the best practices guide to rip to hard drive then convert to generic.xvid (setting at 1100) file size comes out to about 1.2 gig (size is fine to me) plays great on my pc but it is not recognizable format on the PS3 so not sure where I am going wrong. I don't want to use the "PS3" setting as I would like to be able to view via other devices if need be.

how do i make an avi/dvix/xvid like file that works universally and with PS3?

Thanks for help with my lame question.

Try the avi.xvid.audiocopy profile.
    My PS3 (when it comes to dvix) has a url for me to go to divx site and copy a code to make dvix playable on the system or some such but I never bothered jumping thru their hoops. I think that url was in PS3 settings somewhere (will look and let you know if that's the route you rather go but the profile mentioned above should work very well for you, just let me know).

Comment

w&b

ok, thanks for that, i see the link to get divx running on the ps3...have to download, run, register, download video to play on ps3 to get it all to work. wow, odd that is.

so, what are your preferred settings for your conversion? audio format, bitrate and size?

just trying to learn from those who already have worked it out.

thanks much,

Comment

Generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy <---(that will be an untouched copy of the original audio track)

1100 bitrate
        2 pass
        704 X xxx (if in region with NTSC)

Big hassle setting up divx huh LOL (to be honest I think divx is over rated anyway)
        Best to experiment since all is subjective (what is good to me may not be for you)

Comment

Another approach

Since I play my ripped DVDs/BDs from a NAS to my PS3 on large screens (62 & 65"), I always rip using the file to PS3, PS3 vob passthrough option. I've never been able to get a compressed version to look acceptable on the large screens. This is a lot quicker than any of the compression schemes since it's not compressed, and the video quality is the same as the original. Since you're using USB sticks and USB HDD storage, you'll need to split files at the 4GB limit. I don't have to do this as my NAS is networked via gigabit ethernet and streams directly to my PS3 (I have BD rips in single .m2ts files that are greater than 20GB). Anyway, if you do end up with multiple files then make sure you have your PS3 set to "play sequential files" under the video option.
          The above should work fine for your PS3 and PC, not sure about the DVD player. For the PC, you'll need a player program to play the .vob files. A popular free one is VLC player, but there are others.
          Hope this helps.

AMD Phenom II X4 3.2Ghz | Radeon HD 4670 | Win7 Pro x64 | 8 GB | Synology DS211j 5TB | Wired GbE | 2x WDTV Live + |

Comment

one last question. it only lets me select one audio format, which is most usable?
            of course i would prefer 5.1 but am i correct in that others are saying that the ps3 will not support that with this avi or divx via external drive?

Comment

I think it's just DTS tracks thats not supported through external drives but I honestly can't say for sure...

Comment

Working...
              X