X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper DVD/BR-rip with subtitles

Hi Fab experts,

using DVDfab vers. 9.0.2.8 and have 8.2.2.6 allso

I have use dvd fab some times now, but now ´m about to back all my DVD and blue rays into hard drive, and in same make an play able version of the movie into mobile devices or DLNA.

My plan is to make "main movie" backups of the movies and then rip into MVK format. I have maide an "main movie" copy of a movie wish play perfektly with subtitles.

After what I can se the best way should be MVK.Passthrough for the best performance of video and sound. So thats my option.

Now I´m, using hearing aid so I have to have subtitles on. So My need is to get 2 languages danish and english ind audio, and only Danish ind subtitles.

But when I run MVK.Passthrough edited with audio and subtiles it does not show any subtitles at all, have tried, extract, render direct to and remux into file, none works.

But if I choose MVK.h264.audiocopy I can get subtitles on with render direct to, how ever the video is not in best resolution, ex. I have tried with DVD Arthur 3
    when I choose passthrough the resolution is 720*406, But if I choose Audiocopy the resolution is 720*308 (wird is that it says "same as sorce") don´t get that????

mayby it´s just me, after all i´m still newbie in this dvdfab and settings.

Annother wird thing I have found out is that the settings you set ind the global settings don´t take effect ind 9.0.2.8, audio language and subtitles are not set after the global setting.

Does any one have a better way to deal with my problem???

The resolution change is caused by autocropping which removes the lettterboxing (black bars top & bottom). Increase your bits/pixel to to obtain better transcoding quality if required with the H264 profile. File size will get larger.

The subtitle problem is most probably caused by your playback devices especially DNLA as most DLNA servers/devices will not support subtitles which are contained within the container or as separate files.

What I would do in this instance is:-

1. Forget DLNA altogether and buy a media player (<$100) that supports multiple IDX/SUB & PGS (Bluray) subtitles and multiple audio streams held within the MKV container and also SMB shares (Windows networking). This then allows swapping at the touching of a remote button and playing direct from the file.

2. Transcode the title twice, once with the English audio and subs with the subs as an external file once with the Danish audio and Danish subs as an external file.

3. Then use the MKVMerge module of MKVToolnix (Free utility, D/L from Internet) to make one file from all the streams that you want.

4. Try the file in DVD Fab Media Player to see whether it works.

Hope this helps.
    Greg
    Last edited by GregiBoy; 04-07-2013, 08:49 PM.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Hi GregiBoy,

First, mayby I should explane what I have....

have a Synology +1010 with another build on 10 Tb at the moment and can easily be expanded. we have Ipad, android and windows7/windows phone running on devices, have some DLNA devices too, and thinking of expanding with some bridges directly to televisions.

You mentioned that the mkv.h264.audiocopy might be a autocrop problem.....were do I disable that in ver. 9, I recall have seen such funktion in version 8 if i´m not mistaking.
      Mayby if I can disable that, I can use the h264.audiocopy with full video quality, that could be great.....
      But still don´t understand why passthrough dosn´t contain the subs, but somehow I understand that you think it is a player problem!!!
      I´m testing on on devices, and on computer with vlc media player, wisch I have understood should be more than enough to play all file types with all types off subtitles includes, wether they are rendered or exstracted.

But mayby I should try the fab player to see if that helps.

Comment

VLC is fine to do your testing to see if the multiple subs and audio work as I have indicated. I do it all the time with my files and I usually include English, Spanish and Indonesian audio and English, Spanish and Indonesian subtitles where available and Ijust switch to what I want with my remote.

Most iCrap devices and DNLA clients and servers will NOT passthrough subs (Unless they are burnt in). This is both a device and DNLA server problem and it has been around for about 10 years so no real resolution is in sight. DNLA is brain dead. Do not use it if ever possible.

I suggest that you do a couple of trial files and play them directly on your PC with VLC to see what I mean, then play the file using SMB shares from your NAs and it also should work fine. Then play the same file somehhow using DNLA and I bet it won't.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
        X