BD rip slow on PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) BD rip slow on PC

When I rip a BD to MP4, most take anywhere from 4 to 10 hours with a single pass. It encodes at 4 to 15 frames per second. I'm using a Precision 490 workstation, dual core 3.2ghz, 16gb of ram, LG BH16NS40 drive, and a gigabit connection to my network drive.

My brother in-law can rip his in 2.5 hours, double pass, usb blu ray drive, over wifi to a network drive, and shows it's encoding upwards of 30 frames per second. He is using a mac book.

I rebuilt the desktop, so the only thing on it, other then the OS, is dvdfab.

I tried my Dell Studio 1555 with a USB blu ray drive and it takes the same amount of time.

I can't for the life of me figure out how his can be twice as fast as mine, and his does a double pass. I can't see how it's a hardware issue, as my workstation is fairly fast.

The 490 is very old kit

The 490 is very old, it pre-dates the Nehalem generation of x86 (which is already 5 years old), so

1. It's using processors that are probably an order of magnitude slower than what you see today
    2. It's using DDR2 memory which is significantly slower
    3. The graphics engine is probably incapable of providing any hardware assist for encode or decode phases, so it's doing everything on the CPU (see 1)

In short, the 490 is very old and decrepit with terrible performance relative to anything new, so you shouldn't be too surprised ;-)

Comment

You are using a dual- core processor, which you will have the bottle neck effect! Like 4 lanes of highway running into two lanes!

Quad- core is what you need, then you'll be faster!(4 cores instead of 2 cores)!

Comment

So if I stepped up to two quad core processors, would it be worth it? Or am I wasting my time on this old machine?

Comment

I have an i7 Ivy Bridge CPU and use Intel Quick Sync. My CPU has 4 physical cores and 4 virtual cores. Blu Ray 1920x1080 to MP4 @ 1920x1080 takes me usually 20-25 minutes.

Last edited by 90312; 04-24-2013, 11:10 PM.
          How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

That's what I need. I'm going to add another processor, and see how that works. If it's only a little better, then I'll buy the dual quads and try them.

Comment

Originally posted by brack86svo View Post
              So if I stepped up to two quad core processors, would it be worth it? Or am I wasting my time on this old machine?
              Don't spend anymore money on hardware of that vintage. No matter how you upgrade it, a $300 laptop with a USB Bluray drive will kill it for ripping performance, yes that hardware is that old ;-)

Comment

That's what I need. I'm going to add another processor, and see how that works. If it's only a little better, then I'll buy the dual quads and try them.

Seriously, you're throwing money down a hole, for what it will cost you to upgrade, you could buy a current generation low-end desktop or laptop that will be much faster than hardware of that era is ever going to get no matter how much you spend on it.

Comment

The extra processor was free. They upgraded three of these 490's to laptops because the users needed to be portable. I will try the second processor and if it doesn't get me in the 2 hour range at least, I will look at a new barbones system with an i5 or i7.

Comment

The extra processor was free. They upgraded three of these 490's to laptops because the users needed to be portable. I will try the second processor and if it doesn't get me in the 2 hour range at least, I will look at a new barbones system with an i5 or i7.
                    Can't argue with free, just don't go throwing many at a PC of that age.

Comment

I ended up getting the X5355 Quad core processors. I picked them up for $70. My rip time is now down under 2 hours on most blu rays. I have spent a total of $200. The rest was the 2gb video card which, I can transfer over to a newer setup when the time comes. For now, this will work. Thank you all for your advice and help.

Comment

I noticed with all 8 processors, I'm only getting 50 to 60% cpu usage. Is there any way to get a full 100%? I don't use the computer for anything more then ripping blu rays.

Comment

Hi brack86svo
                          There are settings in Fab, but a few members are saying that it not working right.
                          Open Fab click the cog wheel top right> general> set your CPU cores here, also click the conversions tab> enable turbo CPU.
                          Hope this helps
                          CBR929
                          Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

I the cores set to 4. I bumped it up to 8 and already had the turbo selected. I'm still only seeing 50-60%. Any other ideas?

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Yeah, be patient and wait till the developers have a look at it.

Until then, use it as it is.
                              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
                              X