No announcement yet.

Can chapter marks be created in result?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Can chapter marks be created in result?

This topic applies to both BD and DVD Ripper.

I just bought a WD TV Live, which finally gives me subtitles from my ripped videos (yea, since my Sony BDP-S590 does not). Now the only remaining pieces are getting the chapter marks included in the ripped videos, and being able to name the audio and subtitle tracks. I saw the thread requesting the ability to name the audio and subtitle tracks, so I won't go into that here. That leaves the chapter marks.

The reason I ask is because I noticed that the WD TV Live has the ability to jump to chapters, if the chapter marks are included, of course. And I was able to get an output from MakeMKV that includes them, so I was able to test it in WD TV Live, and it works great. There are other problems with using the videos from MakeMKV, of course, so I'm not going that route. That leads to my questions.

Is there a way to include chapter marks in the videos ripped by DVDFab, specifically so that they work in WD TV Live? If so, is it limited to only certain profiles, and if so, which one(s)? Can someone detail how to do it, if it is possible? And if it is not possible, can this capability be added? Thanks.

OK, I just found out that the Mkv profile(s) does include the chapter marks, but when I select a chapter in WD TV Live, it begins playing that chapter, but then freezes, and I have to restart the WD TV Live. I also notice that the subtitles in the Mkv video just flash on the screen, and don't stay displayed long enough for them to be read (a different issue, I know).

Let me ask this, then. Is there a way to get chapter marks into an m2ts file? Those files seem to play flawlessly (so far) on the WD TV Live. Thanks.

Comment

I don't want to be pushy, but does anyone have any thoughts on this issue? Thanks.

Comment

No you can't get chapter marks into m2ts files.

I would be investigating that you have current firmware for the WD as MKV files with chapter marks all play fine on 4 different players that I have and my son's WDTV Live Hub.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by steelerbuckeye View Post
          OK, I just found out that the Mkv profile(s) does include the chapter marks, but when I select a chapter in WD TV Live, it begins playing that chapter, but then freezes, and I have to restart the WD TV Live. I also notice that the subtitles in the Mkv video just flash on the screen, and don't stay displayed long enough for them to be read (a different issue, I know).

Let me ask this, then. Is there a way to get chapter marks into an m2ts file? Those files seem to play flawlessly (so far) on the WD TV Live. Thanks.
          For the subtitles you need to change a setting. On the main screen select "Advanced Settings". Then click on the "Subtitle" tab. You'll find three selections you can make. You probably have "Remux into file" selected as the default. Change the default to "Extract to idx/sub file". Your WD TV Live will then show subtitles when you select them.

As for the freeze, how are you playing those mkv files? Are they going through a network? Is the network hard wired or wireless? Have you tried hooking up a hard drive with the mkv files directly to the WD TV Live? It sounds to me like a network issue but I'm just guessing.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I ended up having to take back the WD TV Live, so for now, I can't test anything on it. I did, however, have the remux into file option selected for the subtitles (which worked fine with the m2ts files), so I will try the extract option with the mkv files when I get another WD TV Live.

The freezing could indeed be a network issue, because I don't have the My Book Live I eventually plan to get, so I was streaming wirelessly from my laptop. But I never had a single hiccup playing the m2ts files that way, and I was able to jump around in the m2ts files with the WD TV Live's Skip to Desired Time feature, and it never froze with them. Is there a difference between streaming m2ts and mkv files that would be affected by the network setup?

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I ended up having to take back the WD TV Live, so for now, I can't test anything on it. I did, however, have the remux into file option selected for the subtitles (which worked fine with the m2ts files), so I will try the extract option with the mkv files when I get another WD TV Live.

The freezing could indeed be a network issue, because I don't have the My Book Live I eventually plan to get, so I was streaming wirelessly from my laptop. But I never had a single hiccup playing the m2ts files that way, and I was able to jump around in the m2ts files with the WD TV Live's Skip to Desired Time feature, and it never froze with them. Is there a difference between streaming m2ts and mkv files that would be affected by the network setup?
              If you're able to wirelessly stream high bitrate Blu-ray m2ts files on your network then mkv should work without any problems.

I'm using a WDTV Live with a WD Livewire and have never been able to stream m2ts files without stuttering. I have all my DVD's as ISO's and my Blu-ray movies as mkv. I've noticed that the WDTV Live will sometimes freeze after many hours of use. When this happens, I just unplug the WDTV Live and then plug it back in.

It will then run again for days or weeks and I do not experience any freezing problems

Comment

That's interesting. Do you think that having the subtitles remuxed into the mkv file could have been contributing to the freezing problem? I wouldn't think so, especially since it seemed to happen only when I jumped to another chapter, but I don't have enough experience with all of this at this point to know.

Comment

That's interesting. Do you think that having the subtitles remuxed into the mkv file could have been contributing to the freezing problem? I wouldn't think so, especially since it seemed to happen only when I jumped to another chapter, but I don't have enough experience with all of this at this point to know.
                  I experienced the same problem with my WDTV Live. The subtitles flashed so quickly on the screen that they were impossible to read. However, I did not experience the chapter freeze issue you reported. So no, I don't think the two issues are related.

All of my freeze problems have been network issues. If I have a file that freezes, I'll copy that same file from the network drive to a portable hard drive. I then hook the portable hard drive up directly to the WDTV Live and see if I can replicate the freeze.

So far, in my experience, the network has always been the culprit.

Comment

Working...
                  X